BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saturday was another beautiful warm day in Cape May. Late afternoon after taking down the Christmas tree and house lights it was time for a fishing trip. How often are you going to get a January day near 60 degrees with no wind.

Got to lake around 3:45 pm and found another fly guy with the same idea that I did. We ended up fishing together. He started the ball rolling with a crappie on a small rabbit fur type fly, after a few casts. I was working and area about 200 feet from where he was and got my first pickerel on a olive black wooly bugger.

I ended up with 4 more pickerel all around the same size and loss another little better one that bit me off while trying to get it out of the water.

Moving around, I missed a nice fish that broke me off. Never saw it but it was decent. Losing my fly I switched over to a weighted wooly bugger and caught two bluegills, which was a bit unusually for such a large fly.

With sun setting fast I moved to another area where I caught 3 largemouth between dusk and darkness. Only the first and smallest bass picture came out as I messed up my the exposure setting.

With it totally dark and a beautiful full moon coming up both Rich, the fellow I met and myself continued to fish. He had caught a few more crappies and a bass during the afternoon, when we hooked back up. It was really weird as it was still very warm and with the moon light we could still see fairly well. It felt like a October night, yet we are in January.
Rich ended up with the last fish of the night and the best one.

We both had a great afternoon, comparing notes, exchanging some information and catching some fish and enjoyiny some unreal weather. We both called it a night around 6:30 pm.

The two types of retrieves that worked were super slow with a twitch here and there or medium slow, about 1 foot on eash strip.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Looks like a few good hours to me. Glad you got out.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried To Do It Again

What a difference a day makes.

Decided to try again this afternoon. The temperature was about 15 degrees colder and there was a fair anount of wind. When I got to the lake I found the same fly angler that I met yesterday and another guy fishing from a boat. The guy in the boat said the water was 40 to 41 degrees.

It sure felt a lot colder than yesterday and the fishing was a lot slower. Fished for about an hour before I got my first hit and hook up. It was small pickerel. It took about another hour before I got my next hit hooking a bluegil.

It was cold fishing. Standing in the water and with wet hands it felt like my fingers were going to fall off. Again right as it got dark and the moon starteded rising I caught two small largemouth on an all black wooly booger as I lost my last olive one to a snag.

Guy in the boat found some crappies and 2 pickerel the other fly guy got sunked. Fished till about 6:15pm, had some fun, but the cold made fishing a bit tougher. I am just now warming up.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snow No Fishing This Afternoon

Much colder today but no wind at all. Was going to try the freshwater thing again, but as I started to get ready it started snowing. Hard to get excited about fishing in the snow. The the colder temperatures last night I would guess the fishing might be even slower so I bagged the idea.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Beat Goes On

Today there was a light wind and sun, so I decided to try fishing after going to the gym. It was nice and sunny when I went to the gym, but when I got out it was cloudy and damp and looked like rain.

Got to lake around 3:00 pm. The first half hour I got no hits and it started to rain, making it cold and raw, plus I didn't bring foul weather gear. Fishing in a pretty steady rain I was almost ready to quit when I got a quick two small pickerel on a all black wooly bugger.

Catching a few fish I decided to fight the cold and fish a little longer and about 15 minutes later it stopped raining. Losing my black wooly bugger to a tree I switched to and olive black one with some lead wire in the belly.

Fished till 5:30 pm when it started drizzling and it was getting dark. Caught this really nice size Crappie and three small large mouth all about this size.

Had some fun this afternoon, but it felt good to get in the car and warm up. I didn't realize how cold my hands were until I tried to unlock the car doors.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Ray, you are HARD CORE! I think you have a couple more good days this week. Soon you'll have all the fish in that lake educated and will have to look elsewhere! Couple of those pics look like EATING fish!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yea, you could eat some, but unfortunately too many anglers who do not speak english work the lakes hard during the summer months and take everything that swims from talking to others that fish the area. Somebody has to keep releasing the fish, otherwise the lakes will be barren.

If I ever see any fish taken that shouldn't be I call the game officials on the cell. It would be great if every one did.

·
Registered
390 Posts
yep - got it programed in to the cell. Occasionally seen those folks you refer to on some of the jettys.

think you have another day today! 58deg at 7:30am this morning!

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Well, I truly wonder why that is. It must be a cutural problem. I don't get it.

Having lived on the Brandywine Creek for now 27 years, I've watched it age. I'm on the creek alot. Wading, canoeing, camping, bird watching, and of course, fly fishing for smallmouth bass etc. The creek used to be full of bass, smallmouth and largemouth. About 18 years ago, the local non-english speaking community seemed to discover the creek. In very short order, it was a dissaster. Mini camp sites were set up on weekends for the entire family. All along the river there were fire rings surrounded by muddy earth. Beer bottles, soda cans, worm containers, boxs bags and all manner of garbarge was everywhere. Including, on more than a couple occaisions, dirty diapers. Right at the shoreline. Of course these "sites" were generaly set up in the more secluded sections. These areas were the best fishing holes. These groups cleaned that creek out. I mean, sunfish and bluegills, chubs and eels. Everything was taken, including all the bass. The bright side is, with no fish.....they've stopped coming. The creek has still not fully recovered.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Sad story John but happens too often.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back To The Well Another Time!

Yea, Seems to be the same everywhere. Even where I am fishing they have a constant problem with people dumping truck loads of trash, plus all around the lake there is bottles, can, trash etc. Add to all that the groups that take everything that swims, or wiggles and we are in big trouble.

Another bluebird day in Cape May. Decided to go freshwater fly fishing again late this afternoon. Got to lake around 3:30 pm. Fishing was very slow. The first hour and 1/2 I got one pickerel and had one follower that never hit the wooly bugger. (Olive/Black)

Don't know why it was so slow. Might of been all the rain we had during the night. It was nice and calm and fairly warm for this time of the year.
Just like a few nights, right around 5:00 pm as the sun was getting low the bite picked up and I caught 4 fish in the last hour. Another pickerel, a small crappie and nice size one and a small bass.

Then I couldn't get a hit. It is almost like striper fishing where you get that magic hour then as it gets real dark it seems like the bite stops as the fish get use to their night vision and then you can get a good bite again. I didn't stick around for the late bite.

Not big fish but it is the best show in town, this time of the year and I had fun.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, I truly wonder why that is. It must be a cutural problem. I don't get it.

About 18 years ago, the local non-english speaking community seemed to discover the creek. In very short order, it was a dissaster.
Same thing in my area. The game wardens are afraid to ticket them ??? so the wardens stay away and check the boat guys to make sure they have life preservers! I guess they think if they ticket the illegals....... they would never pay the fine and the wardens might get hurt?
Things are going downhill everywhere. I wish I had a time machine!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Same thing in my area. The game wardens are afraid to ticket them ??? so the wardens stay away and check the boat guys to make sure they have life preservers! I guess they think if they ticket the illegals....... they would never pay the fine and the wardens might get hurt?
Things are going downhill everywhere. I wish I had a time machine!
We have been having such issues with the taking of all species regardless of size or limit, bait fish, shellfish etc, by certain ehtnic groups, and for the first time in my recolection, the state put on more fish cops, and are taking these people to task, with increased patrols. There is also a well published phone number to call, and we do when we see something illegal going on.

My suggestion is to call when you see illegal activity, and then again, when you see no response. They will get the message to enforce the laws

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Party Might Be Over

The fresh water early seaon party may be over! last few days it has gotten a lot colder. Even today at noon it is in the 20's with a pretty good wind, not the kind of weather you really want to be out fly casting. Today when I took my boat to be serviced to get it ready for next season there was ice on some of the salt water creeks and sod banks so the fresh water areas have to be close to getting some ice.

Looking forward to the saltwater fishing next week in ODC's back yard in Florida.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I think so Ray I saw some ice around nummy island today ....I actually saw you as well towing the boat on new jersey ave around 1230,or so

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NVL, Yep, that was me. Winter is now offically here. Spent the afternoon cleaning tackle and getting gear and flies ready for trip, while watching playoffs. Not tempted at all to go freshwater fishing.

It is nice to see more day light as the days are getting longer, but it is along wait till it gets warm enough to fish again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts