BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard from a good source that Capt. Robbins clients got popped when they arrived at the dock by Fish and Wildlife Officers. They got caught with alot of over limit / short Seabass/ Porgies.
I hope this isn't another North Star in the makeing. I saw the fish on the dock as the officers were counting up and confiscateing the fish. I bet there were a few hundred fish killed. some looked pretty small. I can't believe a capt. / Mate would allow this to happen, this is there bread and butter.
All I did is stop to see how they did because I was concidering a trip later this week, I was concidering a trip later this week, not now.I'll go somewheres else :eek:

[ 10-04-2005, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: striperaholic ]

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I think it's virtually impossible for the Captain and crew to prevent this. Do they have an obligation to notify everyone of the regulations and the consequences - of course. Are they responsible for non compliance - I don't think so. About 5 years ago I took my fishin' buddy on the Applegate. Unbeknownst to me, he wasn't measuring his Sea Bass properly and ended up keeping about 6 undersized fish. Luckily there was nobody at the dock checking, but if there was would that have been Andy Applegate's fault?

·
Registered
31,498 Posts
The North Star actually participated and organized the illegal tog fishing.

People on party boat's do get flagged from time to time. As long as the boat is making an effort to inform everyone of the limits there's not much the boat can do if people want to sneak short fish in their coolers. If the boats making an effort blame goes directly to the patrons.

Heck on slow days patrons sometimes steal fish out of other peoples coolers.

Maybe the boat called the F&G?

[ 10-04-2005, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Bob ECT ]

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Don't blame the boat. Blame the anglers. What you described and what happened on the NS are 2 different things. It's almost imposible for one or two mates to keep track of 30-40 anglers. On most of the day trip boats, on the west coast, no coolers are allowed and every angler is assigned a bag with a # so it's easy for the mates to keep track. Hopefully, that doesn't happen here (it stinks not being able to ice the fish).
Hey, if I were a F&G officer I'd be checking partyboats too. They leave and return from the same place, on a set schedule, and you can check 40 guys instead of 3 or 4 on a private boat.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
The last I heard, regs were in the offing that would have each angler aboard a head boat given a ticket with a number and a tag with the same number would be affixed to the anglers cooler, bucket etc.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It is tough to blame the boat this time of year. 1 or 2 mates have to keep an eye on 50 people catching 100-150 fish each. Thats 5000-7000 fish coming over the rail. This is the time of year when the smaller fish move out.You may catch 20 10-11 inch fish before getting a keeper. If you tell them to measure and they say they are measuring then you have to take thier word. As a mate you can only check a small percentage of the fish coming over the rail. I bet it wasn't the regulars caught with the fish.
I'm sure every wreck fishing party boat would get caught with something illegal every time the CO's show up.
Stiperaholic, what is the actual story? Did you here from a reliable source or were you there at the dock? You said both in your post.
Plus, were the customers loading livewell tanks off the boat when they showed up? Was the crew putting short fish in the coolers for the customers? Did the crew have thier own coolers filled with short fish? I wouldn't think its the same situation as the North Star.
If you are thinking of not fishing this boat at this time of year you are crazy. There is a good reason they are filled every day.

[ 10-04-2005, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: captbill35 ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Thanks for that info Rodger...

And like Capt.Bill mentioned,
"I'm sure every wreck fishing party boat would get caught with something illegal every time the CO's show up."

But on the other hand I personally feel it is the Party Boat Capt.responsiblity to know what is happening on his boat that he is charging the public money to go out on..

The law is the law and rules are the rules,and if the boat in question is found out to be ignoring this activity in order to profit from it,they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent....

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
You absolutely can not blame the Capt Robbins. The mates are busy busting their @$$es untangling all the morons and novice fisherman to have to police peoples catches. The Northstar was allowing people to bring aerated tanks to take undersize tog, bass, etc. They allowed it for a good while, I was on a few trips and witnessed it first hand and was contacted by investigators via email. The few times I've been on Capt Robbins I have seen no such thing. Capt Robbins has always been a good boat.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Funny....This weekend I was fishing a very small piece at the AC reef and blistering the sea bass on the short drift. I'd drift 200 ft. tops and do it again. Occasional flounder too. A pair of 10lb. blues got me occupied for a couple minutes and I got 400 feet off the spot and the North Star which had been fishing about 300 yards away on another spot slid in and took the whole wreck....... Kinda sucked for me. I was bummed. I was really on top of that wreck nonstop until those blues took me off a little bit. Is what The North Star did unethical? I'm not totally sure. He sure didn't waste time getting in on me. Obviously I just left and went elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I saw personnally the fish laying all over the deck as the CO's counted and sorted fish. No I am not 100% blameing the capt/boat but they should try to warn people a little better,after all no seabass/tog No clients...No paycheck..From what I observed it looked like a slaughter house full of little fish. Just my observation. someone probably may of seen it different or thought different. yes the North Star was a toally different BEAST. I just stated could this be the beginning!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
fished that boat for years and everytime he leaves the dock the"rules" are read over the loud speaker.i have seen the capt. tell people that there fish are too small ,and they just say oh well.just a thought ,i bet none of the fish you seen were filleted.because the mates will not fillet any small fish. ,matt ps. you first said you heard then said you saw :confused:

[ 10-04-2005, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: sweet release1 ]

·
Registered
994 Posts
Dont blame the Robbins! Been out with them many times and they do things right. You just cant watch all those people all the time and like stated the mates will not filet small fish. Unless something changed most of the fish are cleaned by the mates on the way in so the fish you saw were hidden from them on purpose. The North Star was a completely different animal and I was out on those trips too until I figured out what was going on. Id say the capt and crew of the north star were very involved with what was going on but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I heard yes, about CO's being there. I was enroute there anyhow. Actually from what I could see was on the docks not in the coolers . So NO I didn't see any fillets.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
The rules and regs are read to the patrons every trip and if you have the mates fillet the fish they will toss anything undersize. They can only do so much, its up to the patrons to decide if the risk is worth the reward of keeping a 9-10 inch seabass. If we had a more consistent turnout of CO at the headboat docks then we would see a decrease in this happening.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
first off strperholic about six people people got popped for shorts and one guy had shorts and over the limit.

how do i know, iwas there from 4pm till nine that night, i was in a black jeep

i know how many people were on the log, so ten percent of the people were illegal, for you to speak without the facts is outragous. so that means that 90 percent of the people were fine

i was on the boat shortly after it arrived and watched from the knowledge box.

this is an absolute fact, on every trip the following anouncement is made, 12'' size limit for seabss 25 per angler, and what ever the limits are for porgies and seabaass... the last statement is you the fisherman are responsible for abiding by the limit.......there are also posted size and regulation in the cabin for those who either forget or didn't pay attention to the announcement. the announcement is made well before the cr is halfway to ti bridge.

after the co's did there thing they came back on board to check the fillets, i know this may suprise you but they were fine, they were then dumped over the side.

you have also exagerated the numbers of short fish, in the hundreds, way off

if you are that narrow minded to alteryour plans with a 10percent illegal fisherman, then fish elsewhere i am sure john and the cr will survive.

i can also state that this was the first time all season since april 05 that the CO made a visit. what does that tell you., it means there were no complaints

these are the facts, not heresay.

the beav

[ 10-05-2005, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: cee beaver ]

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sad to say I do know the facts and yes the CO's did board the boat somewhat , really just chatted with the capt. on the dock afterwards. 6 people got tickets WRONG again. short fish hundreds say close to 200 FACT... people on board I believe 41 6 divided into 41 AHHHHH 10% nah. But you know what it doesn't matter ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL. Yes the capt cannot watch all, his job is to put them on the fish. Yea you were wearing shorts kinda tall Phil tags parked faceing eastward and actually spoke to me once or twice.No I didn't cya. BATTER UP>>>
I'm done with this post say what u want I never posted without the facts at least 95% snd if the facts r off I say so.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
maybe, just maybe THE CAPT called the CO's ???????

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.