BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You should of been there, It was a perfect night for a meeting. Wind and rain, no better place to be. Jay (Nomocrap) was able to schedule another great guest speaker. Thanks Jay.

We had Chuck Furimsky who runs the International Fly Tying Symposium at the Doubletree Hotel Somerset New Jersey, which will be November 20 and 21, Chuck is also a talented world famous fly tier, know for his flys made with leather. This is special leather, the trade name is Bugskin which he developed.

For those that attended it was a great night. Chuck had a great slide show presentation that everyone enjoyed. He showed us some interesting new classified ----- ---------. Sorry you had to be there too know what I am talking about. He also showed us some new flys made from Bugskin and his step by step flounder fly that looks like a real one.

For those that haven't received your flyer on the Tying symposium, I put in the section where Chuck highlighted the SJCFA. As the commercial on television goes "PRICELESS" We couldn't buy or afford to buy this kind of exposure to the fly community.

What can you said, except a BIG THANK YOU CHUCK. Our still very young club is so fortunate to have not only Chuck Furimsky, but countless others who have gone the extra yard to come to our meetings, give presentations free of charge, (that they would normally get paid for) and help us grow our club.

To end the night, we had our usual fly raffle. Bill Lewis, one of our new members who comes to our meetings all the way from Delaware won a super selection of our members great flys.

It was another Five Star Meeting, I got home in time to see the end of the Boston-Yankees game and get this post out.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Great write up, Ray. Were you a reporter in a past life??

Anyone who didn't show up (and it was a lot) missed a great show. Chuck did an excellent job, even with our limited resources (eg. no projector screen).

It's imperative that our club members support Chuck at his shows. He has done way more for our little club than most members realize. He definately thinks highly of us, as you can see in the brochure excerpt (thanks Ray). This is a VERY big deal to get highlighted in this national (or even international) publication. Think about that...

Not to sound like a broken record, but we NEED more support from our members to make this club work. Last night's showing of people wasn't the worst I've seen in the short history of our club, but it could have definately been better. Show up to meetings, bring a friend, tell people about our club. Afterall, it's a club for YOU the members, not the executive board. If less than 20% of our members show up to meetings, then what's the point of even HAVING meetings?? It's embarassing to the club, and the speaker, when hardly anyone shows up.

Next month we will be hosting some internationally acclaimed fly anglers and tyers who will be speaking at our club. It's a very rare opportunity for our club, or any club. Jay has done an incredible job getting the speakers he has in the past. Most members probably don't realize that these are all people who would get paid big $$ to speak at other larger clubs. But they are coming to speak to our club for free. The least we can ask our members is to return the favor and just show up. I hope next month will have a much better showing of members than last night.

[ 10-20-2004, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'd planned on be there but a home situation kept me from coming at the last minute. Definitely plan on being there at the November meeting. I'm curious as to who the guests will be. Any names yet.
Teaching kids to tie. That should be fun. I've done that several times with another club. Those of us who'll be tying, need to keep K.I.S.S in mind. Bring some wooly bugger materials. But don't under estimate the kid. I was doing it one time, and this kid about 8 or 9 came up and I asked if he was interested in learning to tie. He said yes, but he had another question for me. His question. Did I know where he could buy some size 32 hooks. His mom was with him, and I glanced at her and could see her shaking her head in the affirmative that he was serious. Turns out he was a finalist in youth segment of the fly tying contest they hold during the Philly Outdoor show at Fort Washington.
Another thought, how does a right handed person show a left handed one how to tie.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
AWESOME!!!!!!!! Was a great time. I loved the slide presentation. That was a heck of a fly raffle!

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Jerry:
Check the website. I've updated the calender. I'm lefthanded, but most things I do are right handed. Lefties learn to adapt quickly, as the world is right-handed and won't wait for you to catch up ;) .

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hip, almost got you excited enought to come out of retirement and fish again.

Forgot to mention Brad Buzzie was was also demonstrating some new flies he was tying, working with some state of art materials. He had some nice looking bay anchovie and spearing flies that looked real.

So you missed a super meeting, don't despare. Next months SFCFA will be just as good. All members, if you have a friend that is interested in seeing a great presentation bring them along. If you have never attended one of our meetings and are curious to see what we are all about, or what fly fishing is about. Next month would be perfect time to stop by.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I was in your neck of the woods Ray. Lets just say more than one person I know got knocked down by waves ;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nice line up. Maybe Theo will bring some eel skins with him. I've been trying to get one for a couple of years now. Only reason I mentioned teaching a left hander to tie. When my nephew was younger he wanted to learn to tie a fly, and he's left handed and ties left handed. It left his uncle doing everything *** backward when showing how to do things.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Guys,

As usual, I was tied up at work and didn't get home until well after the meeting started. I hate to be rude and didn't want to walk in during our guest speaker's presentation.

Sooner or later my schedule will allow me to get out to another meeting. Sorry for the numerous times I've missed this year.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have to say that the trip was well worth it to the meeting. After Chuck?s presentation, it hit home once more - JUST GO AND FISH.

How many times have we all had the time to fish but found some lame excuse not to go - its to cold/hot, the wind is not right, this tide is wrong, the wife might not approve, I have to work on the house...... This year if I just got my but in my truck or boat and went fishing and not worried about the small stuff, I would have been on the water at least 40-50 days more this year. I should have learned from my father who ran out of time and not money, you can replace everything in your life, (car, boat, job,....) but you can not replace TIME, GOOD FRIENDS and FAMILY.

Thanks Chuck for reminding me of this simple concept.

Brad

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Well said Brad.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Originally posted by bbuzzi:
I have to say that the trip was well worth it to the meeting. After Chuck?s presentation, it hit home once more - JUST GO AND FISH.

How many times have we all had the time to fish but found some lame excuse not to go - its to cold/hot, the wind is not right, this tide is wrong, the wife might not approve, I have to work on the house...... This year if I just got my but in my truck or boat and went fishing and not worried about the small stuff, I would have been on the water at least 40-50 days more this year. I should have learned from my father who ran out of time and not money, you can replace everything in your life, (car, boat, job,....) but you can not replace TIME, GOOD FRIENDS and FAMILY.

Thanks Chuck for reminding me of this simple concept.

Brad
Your post sounds like ME! LOL. Good post ;)

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, I know what you mean. I have to try and get more fishing time in. :D :D :D Life is short and you are dead for a long time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts