BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking around the different forums and seeing conflicting info. If you take the PA on-line safe boating course and get your certificate (which costs $25 by the way), will this satisfy the new NJ rule. Someone posted that they showed an NJ trooper at the AC boat show the certificate from the PA Fish and Boat Commission, and he said it will satisfy the requirement. However, on another forum, someone else says it will not satisfy the new NJ regs. Whats the deal?
T

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
The law states that the course may be on-line...but the test must be given in person...

The trooper may or may not have been aware of this. If the trooper that stops you knows that a state certificate comes from a state that allows on-line courses complete with a test...well who knows what he/she might do on the spot...but the law has stated and the new law I believe also states that an instructor must give the test.

I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about...the average boater can certainly learn something from the course and the course costs way less than a tank of gas...or a really nice set of lures...it lasts forever (as of now) and like I've always said...if you pick a course with a decent instructor...you'll get way more than the cost of the course back in free advice/training.

[ 02-09-2006, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Capt. Scott ]

·
Registered
562 Posts
i was told that the PA online course will satisfy the NJ regs but only applies to PA citizens. So anyone living in NJ cannot take the PA course.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a resident of PA but the boat is registered in NJ. I have the cert from PA, maybe I'll get the NJ one to play it safe.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Originally posted by Kyle:
i was told that the PA online course will satisfy the NJ regs but only applies to PA citizens. So anyone living in NJ cannot take the PA course.
I think Kyle is on the right track. I live in PA and have been taking a few navigation courses from Coast Guard Aux. I brought up this topic a few weeks ago, when it was first mentioned on the barn.

Flotilla commander was frustrated about lack of notice, information, so he went searching. (I can't say the same for national office of USPS.) Here's what he came up with for PA residents:

You may obtain a PA "license" to supplement your certificate from aux class. This is done by paying additional $10 for aux to send paperwork to state. You will receive the "license" in the mail.

The PA license is a blue, credit card-type, which does not denote whether it was obtained through classroom, home study or on-line testing. I have seen it. It is, as of now, per Flotilla 42, a valid operator's license that will meet NJ requirements.

Yes, you can skip the class and just take the test on-line. But, as Capt. Scott and others have said, the class is well worth it. It will make you a better mariner.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Well this can go 2 ways....

Either the Marine Police are just not gonna care and not enforce the letter of the law and accept any official looking card....or...

The word will get out and NJ will stop accepting cards from states that have not made proctored testing mandatory.

Till then...your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like PA residents (me!)who have a registered boat in PA don't have any restrictions. Don't worry guys I won't be running over the north jetty anytime soon!!! I do agree that the course is a good idea since many out there don't know the first thing about seamanship (weekend warriors! The thing that scares me are the rentals in Jersey. I see more clueless people renting boats than anything. I had to rescue one of Eric's Rentals two years ago that was stuck on the south jetty with a guy that didn't know the first thing about seamanship, could have been killed with the swells that were pounding the vessel. The boats don't even have a VHF so the Coast Guard had no idea what was going on. According to the law renters are exempt. I think this is really stupid on the state's part.

3. (New section) a. The provisions of
section 1 of this act to the contrary notwithstanding:

(1) An out-of State resident, or a resident of a foreign country, who is 18 years of age or older and who will be in this State for less than 90 days may operate a power vessel on the waters of this State, without having completed a boat safety course approved by the Superintendent of State Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety, provided that the power vessel is registered in that person's state or country of residence and in that person's name, and is not a personal watercraft;

(2) A person who is 18 years of age or older may operate, without having completed a boat safety course approved by the Superintendent of State Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety, a rented power vessel that is powered by a motor, or combination of motors, of more than 10 horsepower on the waters of this State provided that:

(a) the power vessel is not a personal watercraft;

(b) the person renting the power vessel rents the power vessel from a business engaged in renting power vessels for use on the waters of the State;

(c) the person renting the power vessel has successfully completed a State-approved pre-rental instruction course provided by the owner or lessor of the power vessel prior to operating the power vessel on the waters of the State; and

(d) the owner of the power vessel rental business is experienced in the operation of power vessels and has successfully completed a boat safety course approved by the Superintendent of State Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety

-----keep in mind here that section "C" usually doesn't work and many renters are not qualified to run small skiffs in the ocean!---Especially around boat traffic in the inlets!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.