BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanted to get this up front.
a $25 license with a $50 fine would rid us of the united nations crowd. most are here illegally, they keep EVERYTHING they catch, and they're robbing americans their jobs.
AND, if enforced it would pay for more game wardens.
to me a win win situation.
incidentally, they're dangerous to fish around. i've had a dipsey with 2 hooks fly past my nose more than once, seen a rod slanted with a treble hooked lure dangling loose in the wind, and one tried to throw a cast net rite in front of me on a jetty at lo tide. oh, no speak english.

·
Registered
930 Posts
That still won't get rid of them. If they haven't gotten caught keeping everything they catch yet, what makes you think they will once the state starts requiring a license? It's not like NJ is immediately going to triple the amount of wardens. Plus, even if they give them a ticket, how are they going to make them pay it? All of those guys have fake ID's with fake names and fake addresses. Hard to make someone pay a ticket when you have no idea who they really are, or where they live. I'd say the only thing NJ could do to improve things (besides more wardens), is to do what NY does for Salmon fishing. If you get caught doing anything illegal you're immediately hauled off to court to plead, and you have to pay the ticket on the spot. I highly doubt that'll happen, so I don't think there's a hell of a lot we can do to change things. :mad:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
What they might do is only have a license for the party and charter boat captains. They would be required to count the catch, discards etc. and report it to the state or feds.

I would hope they would build into this legislation to have the captain responsible for the count and the throwing back of undersized fish....Gene

[ 10-12-2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: KRAYFISH ]

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by KRAYFISH:
What they might do is only have a license for the party and charter boat captains. They would be required to count the catch, discards etc. and report it to the state or feds.

I would hope they would build into this legislation to have the captain responsible for the count and the throwing back of undersized fish....Gene
That's a bit unfair though. When you have a situation where there's 100 people fishing on a boat, and only the captain and 2 or 3 mates, it would be nearly impossible for them to keep track of every single fish caught on the boat. Not to mention that doing this won't illeviate the problem initially brought up, which is people keeping illegal fish on beaches and jetties up and down the state.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
oh, that'll work
put in law what they should/shouldn't be doing now in the first place... :rolleyes: ..., it's not the mates/captains problem, stop filleting at sea, again, not that that'll help stop the ones that will continue...

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
RFA came and talked to our charterboat accociation last night and the proposed Fed license that is talked about amounts to nothing more than a tax the way it is now. Moneys collected would go into general fund and not dedicated to fisheries. If it has to be enacted it should be made to go toward fisheries management. They will be working hard on this new threat to fishermen.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
geez dude33 you sure are tolerant. if your name is running bear i would agree with you about the united nations, but i would guess it's not. your people came here on a boat too. how about a little guidance to "these" people. it might work and would be more productive than your present attitude. the guy who runs the deli i go to is asian and had the same attitude you descibe and after much talk, yes if you treat people w/resecpt you might findout that they can speak english,he understands the word limit.

[ 10-12-2005, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: cc19 ]

·
Registered
47 Posts
the penalty does not have to be a fine, the system in NY could work, but even better is to confiscate all fishing rods and tackle on that person...there aren't too many undersized fish out there worth losing your whole set up for...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts