BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Springtime will be coming before we know what happened to this dreary long winter. While at the fly fishing show, I was getting some good natured ribbing about the Jungle Cock cape that I bought. I thought that I would share some new, and some not so new, springtime favorites with you....all featuring jungle cock eyes or feathers..

While cruising through the Saltwater Edge catalog, I began to use it for inspiration. Early season bait will be small and thin at first. I thought these and sparse Flat Wings would fit the bill nicely ;) .

I also spotted this salt water classic fly. A Gibbs Striper Fly has the thin profile I am looking for. I hope the Stripers are shopping for the same model

After another month or so, the Herring run will begin! Ahhhh, a right of passage at last! Capt. Bob Paxson and I will be drifting livies untill we catch one, then I'll be back to the fly tackle casting a HollowFleye. Not at all a bulky fleye. It will immitate a herring as easily as you can cast it all day long.

Fly tying techniques are the tools of our trade. Sit at the bench with an inspiration to do something you have never done before. You never know, you may learn a new style, technique, or simply break down those old ideas :eek: !

Have Fun!

[ 02-01-2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Frank Mihalic ]

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Nice flies Frank. I know I was one of those giving you a hard time about the jungle cock feathers. They do make a nice eyes. I will stick to the cheapy stick ons for the time being. Maybe someday I will graduate to 1st class. :D

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Frank Nice!! Sorry you were jammed Sat night. Ron

·
Registered
185 Posts
Frank, those are beauties! Thanks for showing me the hollow fleye tie at the show. Hope you won't mind if I ask you a few questions about the finer points at the next meeting - I'll practice 'til then. I've been tying some critters for the Keys in late March. Mostly shrimpy kind of stuff. Anybody have any good go-to fly's for down there?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm flattered that you guys like my flies! I have been working at my sparsely tied Hollows for a while. They take some time and patientce, something that I have little of lately!
Dave, perhaps on a Sunday we can get together and tie a few? Things are relaxing a bit soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts