BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently an article was written claiming that the all time lure for stripe bass is the curly tailed grub. What do you guys think?????????:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
striper lure

:rolleyes: white bucktails

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
White diving 2-3oz plug with pink sides :D

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
All-time most productive striper artificial lure.......without a doubt, bucktails, bucktails, and bucktails!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sounds more like a largemouth bass lure to me.:confused:

I have to agree with others, that if you are looking for the amount of use and amount of fish caught a white bucktail would probably take the cake.:D

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Bucktail is one of the only methods that I have never caught a Striped Bass. Guess I'll have to try harder. How do you guys work the bucktail? Steady retrieve raising the rod tip every few seconds? Do you tip the bucktail with anything?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Even though its not my favorite way to fish, what you read is pretty much correct, of course the curly tail will be on a bucktail. Either a piece of pork or a curly tail on a bucktail is all you really need. I just like plugs more, I know I will catch less than if I exclusively fish bucktails, but I don't care.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
The first Striper I ever caught on a lure was on a bucktail with a white curly tail grub.

I as well really like fooling them with a plug. The strike I feel is much harder on a plug then a bucktail.

GSBB

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Bucktail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Even Steven said:
Bucktail is one of the only methods that I have never caught a Striped Bass. Guess I'll have to try harder. How do you guys work the bucktail? Steady retrieve raising the rod tip every few seconds? Do you tip the bucktail with anything?
Very , Very SloWWW retrieve along the bottom-every couple seconds as your reeling slowwwwwly in - slight pop-pop-pop-up and down - basically this poping up and down is getting the slack(bend) out of your line - usually will get a strike right after you stop the popping and going back to the slowwwww retrive along the bottom. In the Spring try it with a a long thin piece of fresh mackeral (sort of like a long thin piece of squid as you would use for fluke----only thinner). In the fall - pork rinds are great also! BUT - I caught my 1st 2 stripers off the ole Miss Cape May with Capt.Don back in dec.of 1994 - just deadsticking a plain,undressed red and white 2 oz.bucktail - as the boat bounced thru the rips!! :cool:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
fishhead777 said:
Recently an article was written claiming that the all time lure for stripe bass is the curly tailed grub. What do you guys think?????????:confused: :confused: :confused:
Bucktails and a curly tail grub or pork rind sounds about right to me.

RyanF

·
Registered
268 Posts
question on no bait

Hi Iam new to this form,question on no bait ?what can you use onthe bay for fishing
i know that you guys are surfer but iam sure some of you go out on boats what do you use?:confused: the reason I am asking is that the Flwoutdoor is coming to fortescue
and They also use no bait,I ask a couple of the guys that are coming for the tournament
and when I ask them what they use I get a chuckle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts