BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in '02 I repowered my inboard and at the same time purchased a
Furuno 1850D gps chart plotter......It's a good machine, user friendly and
does a good job.......BUT.........unfortunately for me it was the year before sunlight viewable anti-glare screens were introduced by Furuno...
I have it mounted on my flybridge and the screen visibility is horendous
even with the bimini up......With polarized sunglasses it is nonexistant.

Does anyone else have this problem.....or.....have any good ideas on a solution to this....I've spoked with Furuno reps at the boat shows and they mostly just turn their heads......I spent about $1300 for this back then and hate to just s/can it.....Any help or ideas would be much
appreciated...

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
It's still a great little machine...that's the model we are STILL buying for the Sea Tow boats because of its price and ease of use.

Unfortunately the screen technology is so weak...even the new ones aren't great. For us...we are spoiled with our pilothouse boats...:D

I think there was a guy who started making shades for them but I wan't impressed with their actual performance or construction...but check with the electronics sponsors for more info if they even remember the guy.

We made them out of cardboard painted black with a bit of velcro...nice in that they were cheap and replaceable easy...and you just altered as you liked for viewing angle. My next choice would be thin aluminum painted black with holes that the mounting yoke knobs would go through to hold the shade on.

Good luck!!!!:cool:

PS...polarized sunglasses are a killer on most electronics.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anti-glare gps screens

Thanks for the come-back Capt. Scott.....you're right, you do have an advantage using it in the pilothouse where it's darker but up on the flybridge it's the pits......just recently spoke to someone who gave me a company called Navprotector (www.navprotector.com).... Haven't checked them out as yet but they are supposed to make anti-glare screens to fit over viewing screens on cel phones, d/f's, gps, etc.....A
Garmin rep told me this.......he said that you probably have to scroll thru lots of pages to find our furuno model but it's probably on their list..

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I believe that the problem is not anti glare but rather, the screen is not bright enough. In those days, the brightness was about 1/4 of what it is now. Even in a radio box, I have problems reading the screen on a friend's boat. It is especially a PIA with sunglasses on.

·
Registered
834 Posts
There is a company that will update the screen. "Man" something. I beleive the are in Maryland. Call Furuno tech support and ask them, they should know.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Capt Steve said:
I believe that the problem is not anti glare but rather, the screen is not bright enough. In those days, the brightness was about 1/4 of what it is now. Even in a radio box, I have problems reading the screen on a friend's boat. It is especially a PIA with sunglasses on.
Capt. Steve is right.....it's brightness that's the issue but at the same time ANY of these screens including the new ones suffer from at least some reflectivity. So having a dark matt inner surface is nice for any enclosure (I even painted the entire inside of my pilothouse grey to make it darker)..

Whatever you use....try and make a tunnel for the Furuno 1850/1650s as it needs to be darker in there too....if you are not old enough or have never seen old war movies with the oldtimers looking at the old RADAR scopes...they used to have a huge hood over the whole screen with just an eyepiece to look through and two little holes to put your hands through to use the controls....not practical for a chartplotter...but it sure kept out the sun!!!!!!:eek: :D :D

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Easy Runnin said:
There is a company that will update the screen. "Man" something. I beleive the are in Maryland. Call Furuno tech support and ask them, they should know.
That's true and it is better.... but still will be unreadable on a flubridge in bright sunlight.....

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
www.man-machine.com

Had my 2002 done and it helped. Still not the greatist with sunglasses on but an improvement non the less

Where is your boat located-you could borrow mine to see the difference

1 - 9 of 9 Posts