BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do spinning reels have a switch to turn off the anti-reverse. In all my years of fishing with spinning rods, I cannot think of a time where this would be needed. Maybe if I wanted to get a backlash on purpose. What is the function of being able to reel backwards?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I've wondered the same thing until fishing with Penn SSGs, that have no such switch. One of those things I never really thought of til it wasn't there. I'd imagine its an extremely minor, greatly individual little thing, but I find the anti-reverse switch useful if say, Im out on a sod bank and a lure comes back fouled with a ton of weed and I've reeled it up too far to grab without trying to set the rod down somewhere, often times I'm up to my knees in water, or surrounded by soupy mud and must clear foulings with the rod in my right elbow. Instead of flicking the bail its easier to control if I flick the A/R off and let the lure pull line til I can get at it. The anti-reverse switch is just a habit I've gotten into, and when I've got one of my SSgs out, I find that I miss it.

Like I said, to me its a small, individual convenience sort of thing in a situation like that.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've seen guys use it when they wade out and cast and then reel backwards walking back to a sand spike. When I bait fish I just leave the bail open and let the liner run through my fingers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts