BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone knows of any headboats or charter boats in deep SJ that may target cod. I know there hasn't been a good cod bite since '08 or '10 if I remembered (I went on the Captain Robbins that year and did really good. I know alot of boats call it the year in December so they can do maintenance on their boats during the winter. If anyone hears anything, post it here or PM me. Been checking out to see if any boats will give it a try. I'm jonesing to get my fishing fix on.. Thanks in advance and tight lines everyone!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
There's some boats that will fish through January, but they will be tog fishing, not cod. Haven't seen any cod in SJ since 2012 or 2013, and that was in the spring.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the closest boat that will fish for Cod if and when they show up is the Dauntless out of Pt. Pleasant
Yeah, I looked them up. Still doing some research. The year I went on the Captain Robbins, I think it was late February/early March. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
tdhf, that was the year the bass barn we did a charter, we had a great a trip, a long story never told anyone till now, we thought we had the right numbers for the wiley fox, which was a little fished wreck , i believe it was a dragger, if you remember, the first stop we never anchored, we were close as we later found out, it was the further the cr had ever fished under the new regime, we wrote one of the bottom number down wrong, if we didn't screw up, we really could have done even better...... that was fun trip, that year the local cod fishing was really good, such a sad story what happened to the cr but it is still around and re habed down in lewes del i believe....hadn't thought about that trip in a long time, hard to believe it was over ten years ago....................

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have not caught or Cod fished in a long time. Caught a 42lb Cod on the Thumper out of Wildwood in March 1972. Obviously I remember it because I won the pool. Heated handrails but the fish froze solid on deck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i thought the thumper, teddy weeks boat? was out of barnegat? wow, long time ago, time to head north if the new england boats get a run started!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts