BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
i have twice this past summer after blackfish opened up. nice way to jetty hop and have a cooler and what not with you. don't forget a rod in case vis is no good. the first trip was a long one and was real good time.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Getting on and off the kayak is not that easy if you arent in good shape or buy a unstable kayak. Just a couple points to consider. Always practice falling off and getting back on in shallow water until you get it wired.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Paddle float

If you have a problem getting back in your kayak you might want to consider a paddle float. It's an inflatable bag that slips over the end of your paddle and straps to your kayak and acts like an outrigger . Iv'e been using one for years on my sit inside yak and they work great. I'm still able to get back in my OK drifter and Outback OK but at 68 I plan set them up to use the paddle float this year.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Might be easier with a stand up paddleboard...very easy to get on and off and some are setup for hauling gear. I can get into my versaboard in a wetsuit without any issues even in very deep water and I'm not in the greatest shape...it's actually a pretty good platform for snorkeling. Now I've never tried to spear fish off it but I can't see that being an issue.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
KAyak is better then a SUP for diving off of. I dive off a yak occasionally down here in miami and its the best way to go for getting to a spot quick, but you may paddle right over fish.... at least down here I watch guys do that. Its not a bad way to dive. check on spearboard in the kayak diving section, alot of guys have their setups posted up in pictures.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The versaboard is a cross between a kayak and a sup...Then again I've never tried scuba off it (but have snorkeled a dozen or so times) as I haven't dove in over three years, so I'll defer to your experience on that one.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Id never heard of the versaboards til you brought them up.... Just googled them and boy do those things look sweet! The only downside I can see is them being a little bit more difficult to handle in rougher water, probably much easier to transport and carry though! think I mightve found me a new toy I gotta save for... :D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Id never heard of the versaboards til you brought them up.... Just googled them and boy do those things look sweet! The only downside I can see is them being a little bit more difficult to handle in rougher water, probably much easier to transport and carry though! think I mightve found me a new toy I gotta save for... :D
Sorry:razz:...they are fun for sure, killer fishin boats

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I sell this one. http://www.imaginesurf.com/?post_type=imaginesurf_product&p=820 It has a seat that folds up if you want to sit down and paddle like a kayak. The paddle comes with an extra blade that you can pop on or off and convert from stand up to kayak. Its 11 foot and fast yet stable enough for a 180 pound houswife to use. The square indents around the rail are designed to accept Scottys rod bases. Round hatch hold tackle or FF battery. Big hatch can hold all your rods and gear for the trip back in through the surf. It is also an excelant waverider.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Barrel that bigger hatch.... can you get a 110cm long speargun down there?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I would imagine so. I tried one out before buying my VB, and they do a great job of storage...and the hatches seemed solid on the tester boat I tried out. I didn t need the in hull storage and the seat on the vb was better. But those are def a solid little boat.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Absolutly, You should be able to put a couple of 7 foot rods inside no, sweat.

I get back to NJ in may for the summer. May come down and test drive one, if I can fit my freediving gear into the big hatch it would probably be a good choice for beach diving down here, less stuff to possibly lose in a capsize. Do you sell anchors for the yaks too?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts