BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is my first post ever in the freshwater forum. :p

For the first time in a long time I bought the freshwater license and trout stamp, and have to admit I've been enjoying the trout fishing the past week. I've fished Ridley Creek State Park (DE County), and also East Branch of the Brandywine. I've done pretty good catching rainbows and browns each time out on spinners.

I've been doing a little research on the Brandywine, and it is very hard to find much fishing info. If I've read the fish regs correctly, looks like only parts of the East Brandywine Creek (around Downingtown and north) are approved trout waters. I guess the West Brandywine branch also has a stocked area. It appears there are no native trout waters in Chester County other than Valley Creek in Valley Forge.

I'm actually interested to know if anyone fishes the Brandywine Creek (river) south of Downingtown - say anywhere from there down to the Delaware border. I'm not interested in spots - just want to know who fishes this stretch. I found a nice patch of creek yesterday and to my surprise landed a beautiful smallmouth (about 3 lbs.) I'm curious to know if any trout find their way south through this stretch. The water is nice - it actually surprises me how limited the stocking area is. I would think the entire stretch would be a good home for trout - but since it is not stocked (or listed as native trout) just curious if anybody catches trout in this area. Even if the answer is no, curious what other species you might catch here. That smallie was nice so I'll be out probing again sometime soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Londrive - When I lived in PA I would fish the Brandywine above Lenape Park for Large and Smallmouth bass. Across from the Lenape Inn on route 52 there is a road that dead ends next to the Brandywine. I got lost one day and found it by accident.

Both species of Bass tended to be small but the numbers were excellent. Once in a while you would catch a pretty good size bass though. Also I caught everything from Rock bass to crappies to catfish in this stretch of creek.

Check it out

·
Registered
575 Posts
LongDrive said:
I think this is my first post ever in the freshwater forum. :p

For the first time in a long time I bought the freshwater license and trout stamp, and have to admit I've been enjoying the trout fishing the past week. I've fished Ridley Creek State Park (DE County), and also East Branch of the Brandywine. I've done pretty good catching rainbows and browns each time out on spinners.

I've been doing a little research on the Brandywine, and it is very hard to find much fishing info. If I've read the fish regs correctly, looks like only parts of the East Brandywine Creek (around Downingtown and north) are approved trout waters. I guess the West Brandywine branch also has a stocked area. It appears there are no native trout waters in Chester County other than Valley Creek in Valley Forge.

I'm actually interested to know if anyone fishes the Brandywine Creek (river) south of Downingtown - say anywhere from there down to the Delaware border. I'm not interested in spots - just want to know who fishes this stretch. I found a nice patch of creek yesterday and to my surprise landed a beautiful smallmouth (about 3 lbs.) I'm curious to know if any trout find their way south through this stretch. The water is nice - it actually surprises me how limited the stocking area is. I would think the entire stretch would be a good home for trout - but since it is not stocked (or listed as native trout) just curious if anybody catches trout in this area. Even if the answer is no, curious what other species you might catch here. That smallie was nice so I'll be out probing again sometime soon.
Hi longdrive long time no see. There used to be a spot I think that a trout club used to stock above Dowingtown. Forget exactly now though It's been a while since I fished the brandwine that far up. Just as a previous poster said there a good variety of fish in the brandwine. I have fished different locations all the way down into Delaware. I have both licenses as I sometimes canoe from Pa to De. I live in De now ten minutes from the brandwine and the state park there. Haven't been doing as much fishing as I used to but will probably get more fresh in now that I retired. Love getting out in the fields and woods and enjoying nature. Catching some fish is a bonus.Still do some salt the change in surroundings is always good. I have a 99 yota same color looks exactly the same as your pic.

Good Luck
Mike

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finneser - great to hear from you - it has been a while indeed. Glad your still out chasing the fishes every now and then.

Thanks to you and Farmer for the info. Come on folks - must be some others that fish the Brandywine? Not looking for spots - it's way too big a stretch anyway. Really just curious who fishes particularly that stretch south of Downingtown. Anybody ever catch trout in this stretch? I gotta believe some fish make there way south. Inquiring minds want to know. Also, any spots in the river generally deep enough to support a kayak? (Hobie pedal drive system)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
LongDrive said:
I've been doing a little research... It appears there are no native trout waters in Chester County other than Valley Creek in Valley Forge.
You need to do a little more research. :cool:

The East Branch is a decent freestone stream for stockers. It holds fish well into the summer. Downingtown and north has a lot of public access. You don't really have much if you go south, plus the stream becomes wider, more shallow, which means it heats up too much for a sustained trout fishery.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to do a little more research. :cool:
Don't think so - been fishing the areas you mentioned all week with excellent success - and I've generally had it all to myself as I'm not afraid to get off the beaten path.

I expected south would not yield much in the way of trout - although logic tells me some will find their way. I've heard several say (even in this thread) that the southern portion can be good to excellent for other species like smallmouth bass. My curiousity was/is not limited to trout.

BTW, my comment on native trout waters in CC simply comes from what is stated in the PA fish regs booklet. As I am new to this trout fishing thing - I would definitely be interested in other area streams that hold native populations of trout.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have pulled some nice largemouth bass out of the park in Kennet Square off route 1. Can't remember the name??... In one trip around got about a dozen fish largest was about 4 pounds. Lots of weeds though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There is a creek that runs under boot road on the other side of Downingtow. Sorry I don't know the name. I believe it is a lure only section that they stock. I have caught a native brown back there, unless they stocked 2 to 3" long.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
IHB said:
There is a creek that runs under boot road on the other side of Downingtow. Sorry I don't know the name. I believe it is a lure only section that they stock. I have caught a native brown back there, unless they stocked 2 to 3" long.
West Valley Creek

1 - 12 of 12 Posts