BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been out several times in the past few weeks gone all over the lower bay. Plenty of throw back flounder, weakfish (small) , snapper blues, skates and sand sharks but no croaker. Some reports at my marina that they are catching large croaker .

Anyone been catching these guys? Please provide:

Date:

Thanks for the help. Will be taking the kids out this week and they always love it when we find a school.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dead Croakers Floating

Coming back from the Maul on Saturday, about 3 miles back to Port Norris we noticed around 100 dead croakers floating on the surface. Not sure what caused this, but I hope this is not a precurser of things to come.... Anyone else see this?:confused:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Fished out front of the Maurice river inlet with the kids on July 3 because the bay was to rough for them!! All we caught was croakers on squid strip and minnie combo,but we had a great time!! Finished our great flounder day on saturday July 8 around the #1 bouy on the way in and were taking croakers on blue strips! So I would say either area or anywhere in between!! Bait could probaly be anything! Both times we were drifting! Good luck, Have fun!!;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Went out saturday started out for flatties but all shorts so set the hook around ep tower put some clam on the hooks (top &bottom rig) and in minutes we were puttin meat in the cooler fried em up last night with gas at over $3.00 i'm comming home with something all nice croakers

·
Registered
108 Posts
Fished out of the Fort Monday. Was blowing prety good for those little boats from Sportsman Cove, but we came all that way to fish. We had to anchor up because of the 4' swells about 2mi out. Not what we had in mind, but was the only safe way to be there. Loaded up on Croakers and Blues with SQUID. Forget those other expensive baits...everything eats squid. Flattened out around midday so we drifted to try for some Flounder.
Managed one 18", some more blues and croakers then called it a day. Back in PA before rushour. Great day on the bay.:)

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
esquired said:
I have been out several times in the past few weeks gone all over the lower bay. Plenty of throw back flounder, weakfish (small) , snapper blues, skates and sand sharks but no croaker. Some reports at my marina that they are catching large croaker .

Anyone been catching these guys? Please provide:

Date:

Thanks for the help. Will be taking the kids out this week and they always love it when we find a school.
7-10-06,A FRIEND ON THE DARK SIDE AROUND SLAUGHTER,CLAM AND SQUID.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Plenty Of Croakers

Last Week We Fished Two Days Inside The Maul And Had Over 100 Croakers(big) And Some Big Flounder 22-26 Inches.all On Minnow And Squid.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
We Also Had Some Arounf The # 12 In Maurice Cove Earlier In The Morning While Looking For Weakies.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help. Will be going out sat. and think we will try the Fish Haven off Slaughter Beach (I am at Cedar Creek) then head to the Maul. Will post reports.

Anyone else have a current report I can always plot another course.

Thank you all.:D

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fished Sat (7/15/06), caught a few croakers in the area between Miah Maull and Flat Top. The fluke kept getting in the way LOL. Very good day!

Thanks for the help everyone:)

·
Registered
457 Posts
was out sun about 1 mile east of the maull, caught about 12 croakers on just squid strips my boys loved it, never seen so many. bait never got to the bottom a couple of times. then they must have moved off, Does any one eat croakers? Rum Runner..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wednesday

Headed out to the mall tonight 7-19-06 to kill some weakies and croakers. Will report in on thursday.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I like croakers . Taste great to me. I just head+gut em. scale em and into the toaster oven. lb for lb they fight damn good too. great fish to put kids onto....the action keeps em interested. bait is cheap too.....just squid on a top+bottom rig. anchor up and off ya go. Besides...there's not much else out there lately.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rum Runner said:
was out sun about 1 mile east of the maull, caught about 12 croakers on just squid strips my boys loved it, never seen so many. bait never got to the bottom a couple of times. then they must have moved off, Does any one eat croakers? Rum Runner..
Croakers are great eating. I fillet teh larger ones and head, gut and scale the smaller ones. I then steam them, remove teh skin with a fork and remove all the meat from the bones. Take that meat and mix it up with some eggs, bread crumbs and seasoning then make fish cakes. Fry the fish cakes in a little butter until golden brown. Really good stuff!

Caught some monsters at the #6 reef Monday evening at the end of the incoming tide and peak of high tide. They were still there on the outgoing but the tide was too much, had to go to 8 oz weight and boat was moving at 3 mph without any wind. Caught some but you would be off the spot in minutes.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I always do better on croaker anchored up. Never did much on em drifting...but then again if I'm drifting i'd be fluken and the bait would be diff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts