BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to start thinking about everything related to putting the boat back in, and that includes oil.

Went through 24 gallons last year (and kept all the empties), so I'm looking for something like a "bring your own jug" sale, or maybe even buying a 55 gallon drum.

A lot of the seemingly good deals I've found by looking around wind up being not that great of a deal once you factor in delivery costs, or the time/cost of driving halfway down the state.

So what's out there? Anyone know of a great deal they want to share?

As always, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Time to start thinking about everything related to putting the boat back in, and that includes oil.

Went through 24 gallons last year (and kept all the empties), so I'm looking for something like a "bring your own jug" sale, or maybe even buying a 55 gallon drum.

A lot of the seemingly good deals I've found by looking around wind up being not that great of a deal once you factor in delivery costs, or the time/cost of driving halfway down the state.

So what's out there? Anyone know of a great deal they want to share?

As always, thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Your best bet is try to work out a deal for a drum from a local etec dealer. I think the xd 100 comes in 20 gallon drums? This has worked for some with their yamalube purchase

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Barnicle bills is having an oil sale this week.just started 2/11/12.i picked up 6 gallons on sat morn. Bb

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Went through 24 gallons last year ...
Holy carp!!! I went thru 5 gal in 150 hours and avg 1 gal oil per 100 gal gas. How many hours did you put on last year?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I think i get mine refilled for $36 or thats atleast what last year was. I bring my jugs and he fills them. It may be better to just buy the 55 drum and go from that judging by how much u used in a year

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Joey,
Buy a 55gallon drum. I went through two last year. :wave:

If you need help getting off the truck I can help with that. I take the drum off the truck by myself.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Joey just for Chits and giggles I am going to ask my oil supplier what the cost of a drum would cost...Exact match no substitution, Ill let you know what is quote is and I bet we both get a good laugh:D

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy carp!!! I went thru 5 gal in 150 hours and avg 1 gal oil per 100 gal gas. How many hours did you put on last year?
I put about 220 hours on the engine, with probably 180 hours of that running at about 4200 rpm. I kept track of gas used and miles traveled pretty good and got 1.7 mpg average and went through a gallon of XD100 about every 90 gallons of gas.

Joey,
Buy a 55gallon drum. I went through two last year. :wave:
Leaning towards a drum. Just not sure if it's worth it at $26.50 per gallon plus shipping if I can just fill 24 gallons at $30 each someplace local. I kept all the empty gallons, so I can make one big trip to somewhere like Barnacle Bill's if that turns out to be the better option.

Trying to compare price vs convenience vs cash vs credit............

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why don't you guys get together and split drums of oil.. We did that years ago..
It's certainly an option, but right now to buy a drum on line is $26.50 a gallon, with a couple hundred more for shipping to a residential address. So that puts you up to about $28 a gallon with the commitment to buy that large amount and the inconvenience of selling some of it to friends. Not the end of the world, but it is a factor.

Alternatively I can put 24 empty jugs in my trunk (I have them from last year) and go fill them up somewhere they are running a sale for about $30. That's a drive, some time, and cash, not credit. Different set of factors to consider.

In the end, both are good options, but I'm "fishing around" :D for as much info as I can before making a decision.

Kind of hoping I can find a deal a lot closer to home. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I would ask my local BRP dealer to order one extra drum for you brought to their place next time they order, then pick it up from them. Just need a ramp to roll it on and off a pickup.
They also used to sell 16 gall mini drums.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I don't think they deliver to residential addresses.....against the law or something......i'm not positive but remember a few yrs back reading that...

double check before doing so

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
oil

whats barnicle bills getting for a gallon of xd 100 and Ill bring my own jug ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
barnacle bills

XD30 oil, for all carbed 2 stroke outboards $17.50 per gallon
XD50 oil, for all direct injected 2 stroke outboards $21.50 per gallon
XD100 oil, for E-TEC outboards $29.95 per gallon
min 5 gallons was on facebook

·
Registered
160 Posts
Joey,

Reach out to me...we discussed this last year...I have the same offer as last time...right where you are looking to be...and I am in Little Egg.

Shoot me an email.

Rich

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had some time today so I took a ride down to Barnacle Bills. Always wanted to meet them anyway, just because. Couldn't deal with a nicer group of people, every one of them, and if you ever need anything Johnson/Evinrude/BRP related, I absolutely recommend giving them a shot.

I gave the 55 gallon drum some serious consideration, but in the end, it didn't make sense to invest in 55 gallons (and 400lbs?) when I really only need about 25 for the year.

As always, thanks to everyone who made a suggestion. :wave:

Rdw36 - didn't see your post till right now, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. I didn't hear from you last season and figured you used it all. Next time. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts