BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a conventional reel to jig tuna in the 200+ pound class. I know the torsa will definately be a good choice, but I don't want to spend $750 on the reel. What's your opinion on the new Talica II 16? It looks to me to be the economical way to go without sacrificing performance. Anyone have this reel? Thanks Matt http://fish.shimano.com/publish/con...ex/products/reels/conventional/talica_ii.html

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback I just went and checked one out at a local shop. They are sweet! Gonna go with the TAC16II Best of all I'm not gonna break the bank. Will be letting you know how they do soon on those beastly Bluefins in NC.

· Registered
361 Posts
I was on the royal star last month and one of the guys on board beat on that reel mercilessly with very high drag for 9 straight days and it did not fail, unlike my accurate bx2-600 which failed 6 hours into the trip on small fish!
interesting.... I just had my 1yr old accuate boss 660 fail on cod at montack on monday.... The handle broke... i was thinking it might be fluke.... I have never had any shimano product fail at all.... from calcuttas, to 50wides.... My first accurate fails first yr and all I have caught on it was cod....

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know if the only difference between the Talica II and Talica is the 2 speed option? I wonder what Kil Song has to say about this reel?
Thats correct the II is 2 speed. I opted to go with the 2 speed because it will help out with budging the bigger bluefin. It was litterally a game of inches last weekend with the spinning gear.

· Registered
2,112 Posts
bluewater mike.

Wait for the show if you cant get a deal there, many reputable ebay sellers that offer free shipping and the best offer option.You can easily pic one up at about $410-$425.Retail is at close to $500 search Talica in ebay stores.:)

hey im thinking of buying one.... whats a good price? ill be going to the somersett show.... Anybody know of any good deals?

· Registered
203 Posts
The Talica is an amazing reel from Shimano! It's a very balanced compact leverdrag with serious gears, an oversized drag and twin pawl anti-reverse.

We are a Shimano Top Shelf Dealer. The TAC16II is in-stock now but not on our website. Shimano's MSRP $499.99

We will match any legitimate price. Ask for Greg

· Registered
203 Posts
Does anyone know if the only difference between the Talica II and Talica is the 2 speed option?
Tommy, to the best of my knowledge the Talica Series (8,10,12,16) are only available in two speeds. I have not seen or heard about a single speed version.

· Registered
203 Posts
Tommy, to the best of my knowledge the Talica Series (8,10,12,16) are only available in two speeds. I have not seen or heard about a single speed version.
:naughty: I WAS WRONG! Sorry

I looked deeper into the subject matter and found that Shimano is now making a single speed version.

The single speed models will hopefully be here in April.

The 12 & 16's MSRP @ $439.99

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.