BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of heading there tommorrow. Either from Kayak or a small boat. Im just curious how the bite has been.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bites been real good this year, seems the past week the main smaller fish are on the southern part of the flat.. Had some real nice fish on the north end beginng of the week in front of furnace bay . Got fish to 42 in" on Sunday nite after sunset. Seems like the topwater bite has been better for me after the sun sets.. But the smaller fish are all over the place the last couple of days.. Ive been going pretty much every day and have had one of the best seasons out there in the last 5 years. Still not as good as in the early 90's ,,but still real good. Weekend boat traffic is brutal..I avoid the afternooners on weekends and fish only sunrise and sunset for 2 or 3 hours..I fish mostly poppers this time of year, not really concerned with catching the smaller fish , I just target the big guy now.Caught all the small fish I care to catch earlier this season...good luck and stay away from the fleets ...theres plenty of fish to be caught away from them. The best bite Ive had is also been the ebb tide and in 2-3 ft of water . have had some monsters in 1-2 ft also this year...

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
My dad is out there right now. They had 8 stripers and 6 of them were over 30"

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
check out the striper forum now. Today was an awesome day!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Skmag357 DAD,
Awesome day! Morning bite on top water (BA) and afternoon on cut herring. Fish to 38" over 30 between two of us.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Originally posted by gofishguy:
Bites been real good this year, seems the past week the main smaller fish are on the southern part of the flat.. Had some real nice fish on the north end beginng of the week in front of furnace bay . Got fish to 42 in" on Sunday nite after sunset. Seems like the topwater bite has been better for me after the sun sets.. But the smaller fish are all over the place the last couple of days.. Ive been going pretty much every day and have had one of the best seasons out there in the last 5 years. Still not as good as in the early 90's ,,but still real good. Weekend boat traffic is brutal..I avoid the afternooners on weekends and fish only sunrise and sunset for 2 or 3 hours..I fish mostly poppers this time of year, not really concerned with catching the smaller fish , I just target the big guy now.Caught all the small fish I care to catch earlier this season...good luck and stay away from the fleets ...theres plenty of fish to be caught away from them. The best bite Ive had is also been the ebb tide and in 2-3 ft of water . have had some monsters in 1-2 ft also this year...
Thanks for the information guys. Question on using poppers on the flats, do you do better on bigger fish when you work them real fast and aggressive or just steady pops. I've had alot of swirls and blowups this year with a good amount of misses and thought if I worked them faster it would increase my hookup ratio on the bigger fish :confused:

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Is there anyplace to launch a kayak early or come in late after dark. We have launched before in the county park but they dont open until 8 or 9 and close at sunset?
Barrell

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Originally posted by barrell:
Is there anyplace to launch a kayak early or come in late after dark. We have launched before in the county park but they dont open until 8 or 9 and close at sunset?
Barrell
Tydings Park ramp in Havre De Grace, some good fishing a short distance and easy to get back to the ramp after sunset. Theres also a ramp under the Rt 40 bridge in the Susky River.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.