BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
work associate was there last weekend, 1bft, 4 yft, 1 bluefish and 4 gaffer mahi. all on trolled witch/ballys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Fished with the Hooked Up II overnite on Saturday into Sunday.
Spotty at best. Tuna not schooled up yet.
1 BFT.. 3 YFT.. 2 Dolphin all on the troll. Skirted ballyhoo.

A lot of boats from the OC Tuna Tournament.
One fish was on for 3 hrs. broke off at the boat.
I think this weekend may be the one.
Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,977 Posts
Stay local is my advise this weekend

We have decided to fish the local canyons this weekend. Capt Mark will be out on the 55 tommorrow on a 15 hour day trip but targeting fish in the canyons as we speak. There is a decent bite on yellowfins along 30 fathom line and bluefins inshore along 20 fathom line so I see no need to burn all the fuel to go down to the NSSS at this time. You can now chunk up some very nice bluefins without the long boat ride. We will be staying local this weekend on both boats
Capt John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,225 Posts
Captain's John & Diana said:
We have decided to fish the local canyons this weekend. Capt Mark will be out on the 55 tommorrow on a 15 hour day trip but targeting fish in the canyons as we speak. There is a decent bite on yellowfins along 30 fathom line and bluefins inshore along 20 fathom line so I see no need to burn all the fuel to go down to the NSSS at this time. You can now chunk up some very nice bluefins without the long boat ride. We will be staying local this weekend on both boats
Capt John
Still I like to go down to Lumpy Bottom area for bigger ones. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,225 Posts
MDCanyonRunner said:
Sounds like you can find some larger bfts at the Hot Dog and Sausage lumps too.....
I am not impressed with the size of bluefin caught locally. :)
Based on the fishing report, bigger ones definitely in the south.
A guy had 17 bluefin tuna upto 135 lbs and lost a 73 incher on bait/jig 07-08.
I'll find out on Monday myself. :)

Here is today's report from Wachapreague, VA
Offshore action has been great this week, with most trollers returning with their limit of Bluefin Tuna. Trollers have also been coming in with king mackerel, dolphin and yellowfin tuna.
Citations weighed in:
Bluefin Tuna- 102lbs caught by Jessie Streaker(MD)
Bluefin Tuna- 105lbs caught by Craig Davis (VA)
Bluefin Tuna- 107lbs caught by James Grove(MD)
Bluefin Tuna- 113lbs caught by Brian Hammond(VA)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
I wouldnt expect to many Reports with the SJ mid atlantic tuna tourney playing out next week,

In fact ! now im not talking from this board,But i would be suspect of any report you read,unless they include pics,and even then make sure its a trusted sorce with a good reputation..

Mdcannyonrunner should know the score .....{SMILE}

as i type this there is i believe The ocean/Viking shoot out goin on also ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
KSONG said:
I am not impressed with the size of bluefin caught locally. :)
Based on the fishing report, bigger ones definitely in the south.
A guy had 17 bluefin tuna upto 135 lbs and lost a 73 incher on bait/jig 07-08.
I'll find out on Monday myself. :)

Here is today's report from Wachapreague, VA
Good luckKsong ! wish i was going on that trip with The HU2 and Mark!
I'll be on the HU1 Sat and Sunday ....

I think your gonna be a happy camper ......Please take some pics for us ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,225 Posts
VDAWG said:
Good luckKsong ! wish i was going on that trip with The HU2 and Mark!
I'll be on the HU1 Sat and Sunday ....

I think your gonna be a happy camper ......Please take some pics for us ...
Good luck on the HU1 Sat and Sunday trip and scout for us. :)
The report seems legitimate as we double checked. :)
I got another report from very reliable source. One guy fished 36 miles out from Chincoteague, VA last weekend and he chunked several yellowfin in the 50 lbs range and was broken off by a bigger BFT.
I talked with a captain this morning who fishes everyday.
Still there is not much going on locally. You catch tuna here and there with smaller tuna now. But it can be changed anyday.
Our group are determined to target bigger fish on chunk/jig even though we might get skunked. :)
I going up to Hyannis, Cape Cod tomorrow to fish fluke in Nantucket Island and go down to Cape May on Suday. Pretty tough. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
Wow

KSONG said:
Good luck on the HU1 Sat and Sunday trip and scout for us. :)
The report seems legitimate as we double checked. :)
I talked with a captain this morning who fishes everyday.
Still there is not much going on locally. You catch tuna here and there with smaller tuna now. But it can be changed anyday.
Our group are determined to target bigger fish on chunk/jig even though we might get skunked. :)
I going up to Hyannis, Cape Cod tomorrow to fish fluke in Nantucket Island and go down to Cape May on Suday. Pretty tough. :)
sheeezzz,your a fishing animal LOL have fun and catch um up !!!

Localy here out of Cape may is starting to break wide open ,I hear what your saying about taking your shot at the bigger fish ....

I have a saying it goes ! Hell Thats what everyone else is doing,I wanna do it a little bit BIGGER ! LOL

Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesent But if ya dont take your shot,You'll never know what could have been ...

Good luck and catch um up,on all your ventures,Vinny
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top