BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really want to try a double overnighter on my boat but always wondered how to keep all that ice frozen? I have an SSI 320 and a couple smaller coolers as well as a huge insulated fish bag which will all keep ice nicely for 24+ hrs. Anybody ever put dry ice in with their regular ice to keep it from melting? Are there any tricks that guys use to keep ice this long if there is no icemaker on the boat?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Make sure you prepare the cooler. Cool the cooler down before putting your ice in it. Then buy blocks and pack them as tight as possible. You can fill in the empty spaces with cubed ice, kinda like icing down your ice. But the least amount of air pockets the better. Take a second cooler and have the packed tight cooler as your night #2 ice. Do not open it for any reason until the second night.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you have the room in your cooler put a block of ice in with your crushed ice. A block of ice melts slower for some reason. Or you can fill some 2 liter plastic bottles with water and freeze, use that instead of the block. That should hold you over for a couple days.

·
Registered
216 Posts
a good ice box

A few years ago i made a custom ice box...this was before all of the high end icy-tech etc coolers were out. I made the box with 2" rigid foam insulation (the pink sheets from Home Depot. The outside of the box was 1/4 plywood...then the foam insualtion...then heavy fiberglass on the inside. I made the lid with the same insualtion and used a \heavy silicon lip to seal it off...then faired the whole thing out and awlgripped it. Since the thing was custom made, i built it exactly the size that would fit on my old 29 Topaz.

I took this thing on a double overnighter with a friend (40ft blackfin) - loaded it with chipped ice and closed the lid. We used that ice on the second day of the trip - and there was almost no noticeable meltage. ...we were all kind of shocked.

...i think you can buy those icey-teck coolers which are basically the same kinda thing, except they use polypropelene plastic shell instead of wood and glass and paint. Pack the ice in as tight as you can - blcoks last much longer than chips - and keep the lid closed until you really need the ice (don't put your beers in this cooler)...that should do it... If you want to take on the project, there are instructions on the West System Epoxy website...not a bad winter project
good luck
Joe

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
we keep ice for 3-4 sometimes 5 days if its kept in the shade. we use a commercial grade Ice "box" the thing is huge, but it works great, it wasnt cheap though, if you have the room look into it

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Bonar box

Commercial grade dry ice with regular ice wnot work the water will vaporize th dry ice and it will look like a witch's brew when you open it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The best production coolers are Frigid Rigid. Expensive but will keep ice for 48 hrs easy with minimal melting, pack it full and do not open it for any reason as the other guy said

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
After you fill your cooler put salt in and on the ice. It will melt some of the ice but in the long run it saves the ice as it lowers the temp of the water, creating a colder ice box.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
what capt. kobe said.

Bluewater sportfishing said:
After you fill your cooler put salt in and on the ice. It will melt some of the ice but in the long run it saves the ice as it lowers the temp of the water, creating a colder ice box.
its simple chemistry, use course grain kosher salt, as small the ice melts, the product will be colder than 32 degrees F. in turn preserving the ice.

-zar

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Bluewater sportfishing said:

zar2754 said:
its simple chemistry, use course grain kosher salt, as small the ice melts, the product will be colder than 32 degrees F. in turn preserving the ice.

-zar
Salt lowers the freezing temperature of ice...don't confuse this with lowering the actual temperature. The actual temperature cannot change on its own.

I'll repeat this: salt lowers the freezing temperature of the ice, but does not change the actual temperature of the ice itself.

That's why we use it to melt the ice when it snows...

You have to understand that you cannot change the temperature anything without some sort of energy...

If you want to freeze water, you need to put it in an environment that has a temperature below 32 degrees...

If the temperature around it is warmer, the ice will begin to warm and eventually melt...(it's thermodynamics...heat transfer, specifically)

The colder the ice, the longer it takes. Yes, you can super freeze ice...

If you want to freeze salt water, you need temperatures well below 32 degrees...usually somewhere in the mid 20's, depending on the salinity (the concentration of salt in the water).

-----------------------

Now, a cooler provides an insulated barrier between the warm outside air and the cold (ice) but the cooler does nothing to actually reduce the temperature of the ice...it only preserves it at best...

Higher quality coolers do a better job at this than cheaper coolers...

Another factor is the air movement around the cooler...the more stagnant the air, the better...air is the best insulation there is...so a tightly sealed cooler is better.

-----------------------

Actually, we preserved 100 pounds of ice for a week after a cancelled trip.

We placed a full cooler inside of the SSI inside of the boat, then covered the SSI with a comforter...the stagnant air around the cooler inside the other cooler, coupled with the comforter and the stagnant air in the salon did the trick...

-----------------------

But...in the end, you need to put VERY COLD ice in your coolers...then it will take longer to melt...

-----------------------

My advise is to keep the ice as cold as feasible before coolering it...if you can get it packed into an already cold cooler, you will also be better off...

The bait (chum) is stored at -10 in my tackel shop, that is why I have to chip it out of the ice from the SSI...you cannot make something colder without energy, but if you add something colder, it will freeze everything around it...

-----------------------

Last, but not least, I assume that you are tuna fishing...

This presents the problem of throwing a 78 degree tuna into the ice and she will melt a lot of it...

This nobody can help you with...the ice is going to melt

...but if you can get the tunas cooler somehow, that will help...

·
Registered
451 Posts
commercial coolers are the way to go i have a 600quart commercial cooler, it holds ice for a straight week very well.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Soda bottles

I have frozen soda bottles for about a week so they are really solid, and have had them stay frozen for 36 hours in a good cooler

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Salt Works

Salt works. Layer ice then salt ice then salt. Do not open til you need it. It changes the temp as it melts the ice it actually gets colder. Leave drain tight and lid on. I brought home fish from Hatteras on a sunday and did not unpack it til tues. It was just above freezing and most of the ice intact. Remember how they used to make ice cream. The salt lowered the temp enough to freeze the milk.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
correct

Jeff - Fazmataz said:
Salt lowers the freezing temperature of ice...don't confuse this with raising the actual temperature. The actual temperature cannot change on its own.

I'll repeat this: salt lowers the freezing temperature of the ice, but does not change the actual temperature of the ice itself.
i 100% agree, but the final product (melted ice) [in the form of water]...will be COLDER than 32degrees, (but it will be in a liquid form, since the salt has caused the water to turn to a frozen state at a much lower temperature.)

i did not mean to imply that you can make ICE any colder by using salt, however you can create a brine, that is much colder than any 32 degree ICE.

-ZAR

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
zar2754 said:
but the final product (melted ice) [in the form of water]...will be COLDER than 32degrees
No it won't...

It will be the same temperature as what you started with...

...and probably a warmer, unless you are adding the salt to the ice in a freezer...

The salt does nothing to the "actual temperature" of the ice.

It only affects the "freezing temperature"...

These are two different things...

(I'm not trying to patronize you or talk down to you, I am merely stating a fact)

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
I am a very firm believer in brining fish!!! When you are out tuna fishing and you want to conserve ice you know what you do!??!

Bring enough ice in a very large cooler.. i then back all fish caught into a large bonar full of brine which is extremely cold.. i would stick my foot into a bucket of ice for a few minutes... couldnt stick it in a brine for more than 30 seconds! It makes it like a freazer in there!! This will bring down the temp of the fish like someone stated... once in there for about 1 hour we remove the fish and collar the fish.. Then we pack with ice and put into a different bonar box.. we carry two of them....

The fish get stacked on top of each other with the tails off, head off, and ice in their belly! You want fresh tuna?!?!

Do it the way commercial guys do.. that is why they come back to the dock with #1 and some #2 grade fish every single time and so do i!

thats my special sauce!

Now eat it. lol hahahahaha :D :p ;)

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Does adding salt to ice and water cause a temperature drop? Yes. This is how old-fashioned ice cream makers lowered the temperature of the ice cream below water's ordinary freezing point. A mixture of rock salt, ice, and water packed in the bucket can bring the temperature down as low as -21°C.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
sportfishingusa said:
Does adding salt to ice and water cause a temperature drop? Yes. This is how old-fashioned ice cream makers lowered the temperature of the ice cream below water's ordinary freezing point. A mixture of rock salt, ice, and water packed in the bucket can bring the temperature down as low as -21°C.
yes this is true, IT LOWERS the freezing point, (CREATES A liquid state colder than 32 degrees!)

i have done it in gen chem. the ice cream was good!

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
got ya zar!! see yah at bayway brotha .lol haha j/k

1 - 20 of 144 Posts