BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new set of waders and need some suggestions. I would like Breathable, not stocking foot and chest high. What is a good brand?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Simms. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Orvis Tailwaters XT(maybe because I have a pair to sell:D ). Cabela's also makes a nice breathable lace-up boot foot.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I have been using Pro Line breathable waders for 4 years now. I just noticed/felt a wet mark on the back, in one certain area.

I washed them in some NIKWAX tech wash and they seem fine now. I also wash my gear after each use. :rolleyes: Found the NIKWAX in the EMS store.

Not sure how long a pair of waders is suppose to last, always in the saltwater.

I'll be taking a look at the Simms waders and comparing them to the Pro Line this season.

Good luck, Mike

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Good, affordable, and comfortable...Cabelas breathable...don't get stocking foot for beach duty. You will wear holes. Breathable is the only way to go in Jersey. If you plan on fishing when the water is 30 then get a pair of neoprene for those occasions.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Simms waders are nice and very well made but......lots of $$$. Breathables are definately the way to go. Even in cold weather/water, with good long underwear and fleece wader liners you should never get cold.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
IMHO - Stay away from Orvis. I have a pair and they have leaked everywhere. Worse yet, Orvis no longer stands behind their product like Simms or LLBean. My next pair will be LLBean breathable stocking foot (I like the added support of a nice pair of boots laced up tight). Why LL Bean? Because, I'll never have to buy waders again with their guarantee; which simply states that if for any reason you’re not happy with the product they will replace it. Last time I was in the store, returning a 3 year old coat that had a faulty zipper, I asked the sales person if the guarantee covers the waders and I was told it covers everything in the store, including the cheap Hodgeman waders they carry.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My experience with Orvis waders has been nothing short of perfect. Their wader gaurentee is the same as what Simms offers. LL bean's unconditional return gaurentee seems as though it would be hard to beat(as long as that is the case?) I have to say that LL Bean's products are usually very well made(at least that has been my experience).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Snowbee Breathable waders great so far for me. I have the XS model which comes with a lumbar support belt and some pockets for storage. Tackle Direct in OC steered me in the right direction:) .

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
RhinoScores said:
IMHO - Stay away from Orvis. I have a pair and they have leaked everywhere. Worse yet, Orvis no longer stands behind their product like Simms or LLBean. My next pair will be LLBean breathable stocking foot (I like the added support of a nice pair of boots laced up tight). Why LL Bean? Because, I'll never have to buy waders again with their guarantee; which simply states that if for any reason you’re not happy with the product they will replace it. Last time I was in the store, returning a 3 year old coat that had a faulty zipper, I asked the sales person if the guarantee covers the waders and I was told it covers everything in the store, including the cheap Hodgeman waders they carry.
Only problem with LLbean is they don't like us fat guys:( . Never seen any 3x in that store. But all my kids jackets and book bags are from there cause you can't beat the warranty.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I love my Red Balls !!!!! :D ,,My Gray lites are just hanging there !!:confused:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Used Orvis breathables for years and they were leakers, but Orvis would replace them. Tried Cabellas breathables and they leaked right out of the box.
I now have Snowbees but they are still in the box unopened. Friends have them and I've heard nothing but good about them.
Bought them right here in Seaside at B&N for a very good price.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Beach Pounder said:
Snowbee Breathable waders great so far for me. I have the XS model which comes with a lumbar support belt and some pockets for storage. Tackle Direct in OC steered me in the right direction:) .
Snowbees next for me. Gonna pick them up in a few weeks at TackleDirect.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Stay away from Orvis, mine leaked after 11 months and they refused to honor their warranty. Plus they don't answer letters - they will not put anything in writing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
snowbies

i asked all this question a month or so ago, and looked into it and priced some, i ended up getting snowbie classic breathable chest hie boot foot from tackle direct for alittle over 200.00. i think i'll be happy with that choice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
GRAYLITES! I have had the same set since 1993.They are somewhat heavy and blukie but I have fished the death out of them on the beach as well as the rocks.If you get a hole shine a flashlite down the legs in a dark room find the hole and patch.Got like 3 patches on mine.Awsome waders.

·
Banned
310 Posts
I have never surf fished but I am thinking about giving it a shot this year.

The waders have different soles. What type are for surf fishing?

·
Registered
137 Posts
madmax said:
I have never surf fished but I am thinking about giving it a shot this year.

The waders have different soles. What type are for surf fishing?
I think the only two are rubber lugged sole or felt. The felt is for slippery rocks, but DON'T think you can walk on a jetty with them.:)
I've never seen a difference walking the beach.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts