BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's been your experience and what's important to know about the Old Grounds area?

Appreciate your input in advance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks I'll contact Capt Steve if he doesn't find the post

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Go On An Open Boat Trip With Capt.steve And You Will Learn More Then You Can On Here. It Would Be Well Worth It.if Someone Always Fishes With You They Should Go Also.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
BJ, That's the best advice she can get. By all means, take a trip with Steve.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
lots of weight ... 6,8,10,12 ouncers... have a bunch of each ... be alert and jig often or you will lose more rigs than u can count...alot of structure out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I fished there a few years ago with Capt.Paul on the Porgy and had a great day with a limit of keeper flatties all over 22".I sure would like to get some #`s just to get me into the ballpark.Once there I think I could find the structure and hopefully some fish.The day I was there it was rough as he!! ,waves comming over the bow.At one point it took 16 oz to hold bottom using 30# braid,but it was a blast.;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks to everyone who replied, as always it's good to start with experience

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Leave the light fishing poles at home for the old grounds. Most of the time you need 8-10ounces to hold bottom and sometimes even more. Other than that, there's really no special tricks to it. Cut strips of bait 6-8inches and find the biggest minnow and hold on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All good advice...

Do yourself a favor and bring a nice variety of weights and lots of fluke rigs. The combination of heavy weights and rocky bottoms can sometimes cause a lot of hangups.

I like to fish with a big ol' squid/minnie combo on fluke rigs. Cut the squid nice and long and use beefy minnies. We have also caught some this year on a mackerel strips.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you dont want to lose a lot of rigs, make sure you are always jigging. I have gotten away with 4 oz. on calm days and make sure you use long strips of bait. Big bait....big fish!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Use LONG, FRESH bluefish strips.
I put either a yellow or white bucktail hair on my hook.

Drop down to bottom, crank handle 2-3 times to keep off snags.

I have seen bucktails used effectively here.

And Yes, Stevie is the Old Grounds Guru for sure.

·
Registered
16,302 Posts
Here's something for those new, and old here to heed ! I've been fishing the OG's for close to 2 decades. As one who's witnessed the effect the ever increasing pressure of the past couple years has had on the fishing down there, the best tip I can give you is...SHHHHHHHHH!!!! Overpromoting Spots Kills, period! Take that one to the bank!

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
CaptG said:
Here's something for those new, and old here to heed ! I've been fishing the OG's for close to 2 decades. As one who's witnessed the effect the ever increasing pressure of the past couple years has had on the fishing down there, the best tip I can give you is...SHHHHHHHHH!!!! Overpromoting Spots Kills, period! Take that one to the bank!
lmao never heard you say that before :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts