BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying now for 3-4 yrs to break 50" and can't seem to do it. I get lots of fish but. Must have a few dozen by now all 48 to 49" but can't seem to do 50+. I know sooner or later it will happen but any tips on increasing my odds? I want to join the 50/50 club!!!!!

Max(WETDREAM)
BTW del bay limited

[ 05-11-2006, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: WETDREAM ]

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Keep fishing & hope you are in the right place at the right time.

Or tie off the tail to the rear cleat, a length of 3/8" rope thru the lip & pull really hard. Just be careful you don't pop the head off. It's a matter of feel.

:D :D :D

[ 05-11-2006, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: mako6950 ]

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
right place at the right time,i know alot of guys who are excellent fishermen that have never broke 40lbs,the past couple of years up here with the bunker schools have made things a little easier for the 50lbs+

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Hello: Did you get out last week with Tommy for some drum fishing? I heard he is getting married the other day. Go up to Cuttyhunk, MA and live line bunker. My father had a 63 lb and 58 lb striper on same trip but it was many years ago. I still think that is the best location or the Race off Fishers Island, CT. to get a 50 lb fish. We have had some 47-51 inch fish around the new or full moon in early June on the Cape May Rips at night drifting eels in years gone by but they were releashed and were skinny and I am sure they
were not close to 50 lbs. I know one Philly cop that had two drifting eels in front of the Cape May light house about 12 years ago on a head boat in the early fall. Not the same trip but a couple of years apart. I believe he weighed in one at Taylor's Tackle shop in West Philly when it was still there. He told me he wished he had released the second one because he already had a wall mount of his first 50 lb striper. They are truely a once in a lifetime fish for most of us and have not heard of any really big fish caught drifting eels in the fall recently compared to bunker chunking on the hook. I think there was a few large stripers weighed in over in Lewes, De caught in front of the Lewes Wall drifing spot or eels the last few years also.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My opion but (I'm also in the same 49" club no 50"):

1) Bigger baits!

2) Use Floro no matter what and hide hook "Bigger fish are a more skittish"

3) Go for quality not quantity.

4) Luck/Pray

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you've caught 48" and 49" fish in the past, then your are sure doing something right. Keep doing what you're doing and it will pay off. The Delaware Bay is one of the best locations to catch a 50"/50lb. It's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I was in the right place at the right time Oct. 18th 2003 just a couple miles west of the CM Canal. I was blessed that day with a 52 incher aboard Rodfather's boat. :eek:

Your other alternative is to do as Frank Napoli says:
Ask Rodfather!!!! Ask Rodfather!!!!
Best of luck finding your 50.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Originally posted by WETDREAM:
Must have a few dozen by now all 48 to 49" but can't seem to do 50+.
Max(WETDREAM)
BTW del bay limited
Max CousinRichie hit the nail on the head. If you have caught that many big bass in the 48 to 49 inch range your doing just fine and are well on your way bro.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Whole dead baits chuking,on the slower parts of the tides even through the swing and slack !!!
Take a whole bunker or spring herring cut off the tail hook it through the bottom lip and out a nostral on a simple Fish Finder rig,The large Tend to come out on the prowl when the tide lightens up ...Give it a shot ..

I always put at least one down,when things lighten up

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a few different things to try that I haven't been doing. Thanks guys...... I'll get into the 50/50 sooner or later.....
Any tackle sponsers around here sell fish stretchers? or glue on tail extenders?

·
Registered
181 Posts
A whole 3-4 years and you haven't got a 50" , huh? Just a 'FEW' dozen 48" or 49"? What are you kidding me? I am going to sink your boat ;)

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
like said be4 , many guys haven't got 50 or over, how bout tim of clean sweep? has he gotten over the fifty ?

i have gotten one bushle of jumbo md crabs yet but will try this year :D best we did was 23 & that was a half bushle

freedom ots.

[ 05-12-2006, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: freedom ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts