BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we just picked up a cheap little car for my step son and its a neat little car. it runs great but when cold the tranny doesnt shift good, its slipps sometime into 3gear
but once the tranny heats up it goes away. but i think this problem is causeing the check engine light to stay on. i want to get this fixed. it doesnt seem like something major beings it goes away once its warm but i could be wrong?? the car is a 95 saturn sc-2, it has the little 1.9 4 banger, we got it really cheap from a fello barner.. thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm not an expert but,

go to auto pts store & buy a can of trans x , pour it in & give it a few hundred miles to work into the piston seals,(which coud be hard allowing fluid to pass by when cold) . Cheap & worth a shot.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
If that car has a lot of miles on it and the tranny fluid is original often times a tranny flush/fill/filter will do more harm than good. Anything over 80,000 to 100,000 if the fluid has never been changed it's probably best not to change it.

·
Registered
39,867 Posts
If that car has a lot of miles on it and the tranny fluid is original often times a tranny flush/fill/filter will do more harm than good. Anything over 80,000 to 100,000 if the fluid has never been changed it's probably best not to change it.
:thumbsup: to what Adam said.

Take the trans dipstick out and smell the fluid, does it smell burnt?
Are there chunks of metal or paper suspended in the fluid?
Take it to trans shop and have them put it on the computer, they will tell you whats going on. If you change the fluid and the clutches are bad the new fluid will clean away any of the paper left and make the trans stop working all together.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, the car has 200,000 on it and i dont think the tranny fluid has been changed in a while?? i have heard that before about it could do more harm than good?? i might just take to a tranny shop?

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
Take it to a tranny shop...

I would NOT change the fluid unless told to do so by a professional who had checked out the tranny....

How is the fluid/level? Pink? Black? Smell burnt? Remember to check it on a running engine at operating temp at idle....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.