BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard what the season and changes will be for Fluke size and limits for this coming season? I know Va and Maryland have already released theirs and was wondering what ours were going to be.
Would be nice if they drop back to a 17 1/2 “ fish with a limit of 6 and a longer season.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The proposed alternatives for summer flounder and sea bass regulations will be voted on at the March 1 meeting of the Marine Fisheries Council in the Toms River Township Building at 33 Washington St from 1 to 4 p.m.
Alternative " 1 - 18" - 8 - April 28-Oct.14 170 days

Alternative " 2 - 18" - 8 - May 5-Oct. 21 170 days
Alternative " 3 - 18" - 8 - April 21-Oct. 8 170 days
Alternative " 4 - 18" - 8 - May 26 -Oct. 28 156 days
Alternative " 5 - 17.5"-5 -May 5 - Sept. 28 147 days
Alternative " 6 - 17"-3 - May 29-Sept. 1 96 days

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
you'd rather lose 74 days for 1"?

Thats the bad part. Mostly what I'm saying is reduce size and reduce bag limits. Last time I had 8 keepers is when it was 16"

how many people catch and release 10 or more for one keeper. How many will die...

not that my vote will count.....

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
#1 would have the last of April and MID October. Some of the BEST flounder 'catches' used be on Columbus Day weekend--out front. Past mid-Oct.a lot of anglers/boats start chasing Stripers--Most of April too! Once you have a Reduction of the NUMBER of fish you can keep You never have that number upped by the powers that be. Flounder also come back bigger in size each year.I'm not talking about individual,normal growth occurrence but rather the different schools that migrate East and West. They also have a tendency to Migrate a few miles farther North each year--note: the size limits for New York are bigger due to this pattern(must be the overall natural ocean currents that tend to swing northward a bit).
If the Commercial netters are PROPERLY kept in check the flounder WILL be plentiful at 18 inches + in the next year or two. You dont want to REDUCE the catch--we will NEVER get the bag limit to increase unless there is a few years in a row of over-abundance of the flounder stocks in general. Ask any lifelong flounder boat Captain about the bag limits here. Capt.Paul T. out of Cape May will ECHO my comments.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I still think 18" is a rediculous size limit.

Every year we all say "those 16 inchers we threw back last year will be bigger this year...", but it never seems to work that way. For five years I have kept saying "this will be the year it all turns around". The fish just aren't surviving to that 18" size in any decent numbers. I think the proof is how many fish we catch. There are plenty of flounder, maybe more than there have ever been. Something is wrong when you have 30 or more throwbacks to every keeper. And the throwbacks arent small- many are 16 and 17" fish.

Raise the commercial size minimum up from 14" and I gaurantee we would see many more "legal" 18 inchers...but that will never happen.

Why is it that the commercial guys are allowed to keep tons at 14" but we cant keep only 8 per man??? Our restrictions get tighter while the commercial guys get their tonnage raised...thats not fair.

Sorry for the rant, but its just not fair and everyone knows it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still think 18" is a rediculous size limit.

Every year we all say "those 16 inchers we threw back last year will be bigger this year...", but it never seems to work that way. For five years I have kept saying "this will be the year it all turns around". The fish just aren't surviving to that 18" size in any decent numbers. I think the proof is how many fish we catch. There are plenty of flounder, maybe more than there have ever been. Something is wrong when you have 30 or more throwbacks to every keeper. And the throwbacks arent small- many are 16 and 17" fish.

Raise the commercial size minimum up from 14" and I gaurantee we would see many more "legal" 18 inchers...but that will never happen.

Why is it that the commercial guys are allowed to keep tons at 14" but we cant keep only 8 per man??? Our restrictions get tighter while the commercial guys get their tonnage raised...thats not fair.

Sorry for the rant, but its just not fair and everyone knows it.
I don't believe even half the shorts that get released live to be larger for the next season.
The way some people handle...or should I say mishandle fish that come over the rail and end up being returned due to size most likely end up as crab food within a day or two.

Hopefully I am wrong but if fuel hits that [email protected] gal mark at the dock that will have a limiting effect on how many fish are taken, and returned. At 1 MPG X the 30 mile run out to the reef and back that is a #150.00 fuel bill to come home with maybe 8 legal fish between 4 guys and who knows that the sea bass restrictions will be.

I would like to see it open May 5th, close October 20th 5 17" fish, that is 169 days.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
#1 would have the last of April and MID October. Some of the BEST flounder 'catches' used be on Columbus Day weekend--out front. Past mid-Oct.a lot of anglers/boats start chasing Stripers--Most of April too! Once you have a Reduction of the NUMBER of fish you can keep You never have that number upped by the powers that be. Flounder also come back bigger in size each year.I'm not talking about individual,normal growth occurrence but rather the different schools that migrate East and West. They also have a tendency to Migrate a few miles farther North each year--note: the size limits for New York are bigger due to this pattern(must be the overall natural ocean currents that tend to swing northward a bit).
If the Commercial netters are PROPERLY kept in check the flounder WILL be plentiful at 18 inches + in the next year or two. You dont want to REDUCE the catch--we will NEVER get the bag limit to increase unless there is a few years in a row of over-abundance of the flounder stocks in general. Ask any lifelong flounder boat Captain about the bag limits here. Capt.Paul T. out of Cape May will ECHO my comments.
i respectfully say you drank the cool-aid. We have built Biomass @ every size limit from 13" up & its time some of our hard work pays off. I did my part for the last 20 years & its time I see my rewards.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Wetdream and Birch812 bring up a very good point. Last summer we were all talking about between 5:1 and 30:1 TB:keeper ratios. A lot of fish are on the hook and back in the Bay - and I believe many were not going to live due to mishandling, gut hooking, etc. I would imagine an argument could easily be made that a decent amount of tonnage ended up as crab food when it could have been table fare.

It hurts to throw a 17" back in that's bleeding when it would have made a nice dinner - just saying.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Our limits go up....Comms stay the same at 14".:(:(

Save your breath if your gonna tell me they go by weight. Give me 16" and let me go by weight to.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts