BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The slow pitch jigging thing ? I’m getting ready to dive in , so it’s even lighter the the stuff that’s out there, I figure if I’m going to keep fishing hard I Need to go in this direction ,less weight should keep me fishing for a while

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If I was fishing in florida more consistently I'd get a slow pitch set up for bottom fish. Up here I just don't see me using it much, streakers/ron-z's cover all my bases for tuna. Maybe stripers would like it but I don't see investing 600+bucks for a set up that won't be my main set up. I don't sea bass like you do so that's another fishery that slow pitch may dominate. I'm sure you'll find a way to use it for more than just slow pitch jigs to make it a multi task set up. It was very popular in the keys and SE florida with some shops pretty much focused on slow pitch jigs/rods/reels. I got a nice mutton that fought like crazy on those noodly rods, bending at the reel seat almost.

·
Registered
35,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once a fish is on the reel takes over , those rods don’t pump just drop the rod towards the water and reel , I got the new accurate Valiant narrow 500 set the drag to the braid , and let the fish Tucker himself out

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Once a fish is on the reel takes over , those rods don’t pump just drop the rod towards the water and reel , I got the new accurate Valiant narrow 500 set the drag to the braid , and let the fish Tucker himself out

LOL that easy huh what size line ?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
550 yd of 30lb braid if that's what your saying max drag setting on that reel is 30lb. IMO you won't be able to let the rod/reel do all the work for you IF you get a decent size fish.

·
Registered
35,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No no way I’ll set the drag at 30 it would be ripped out of my hand I’ll set it at 18-19 ,if I ever bring it tuna fishing , and I need to push it , I’ll slide the lever to full strike and ………

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I like my lever drag reels but i would spool it with 40lb braid and as you said increase the drag if needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts