BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FRED AND I WERE TALKING ABOU DRUM BEHIND THE WILDWOODS NOT IN INLETS.LAST SUMMER AND EARLY FALL THERE WERE A LOT OR 2 TO 4" PUPPY DRUM NETTED AT THE DOCK AND A FEW PUT IN THE BIG TANK.BADFINGER SAID A LOT OF STRIPERS CAUGHT IN DECEMBER AND JANUARY HAD LITTLE DRUM IN THEM. I ASKED FRED DID HE EVER CATCH OR SEE A DRUM CAUGHT BEHIND THE WOODS,HE SAID 1.I HAVE NEVER CAUGHT ONE OR SEEN ONE CAUGHT OR HEARD OF ONE CAUGHT.HOW ABOUT THE REST OF YOU GUYS??

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I caught a plastic drum once, about 40 gallons or so...does that count?????

·
Registered
252 Posts
Biggest

Early spring few years back, a buddy and I were crusing by the 60 foot hole behind WW, on a way to striper/clamming spot, when we watched a guy in anchored up in the middle of the hole in a 16 Lund wrestling with something big. We circled back out of curiousity.....The guy was fishing a huge spinning reel on a stubby conventional rod, we noticed it wasn't running like a bass and the guy started screamming about he couldn't get it in the net....we creeped over next to him to see the drum's big white belly.....not a huge drum but 50 lbs at least. The guy didn't know what it was.....

He tried to lip it......the only thing that got him was really sore fingers.....I yelled to him to grab it by the gills, but the hook straighten out on him with him horsing it....the drum rolled over and swam off. I felt bad for the guy.....

I heard they catch them pretty good in Great Bay and in Barnegat

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Biggest, never personally but I have seen several caught and heard of a few more. Last year, a friend got one on a bucktail/squid in Grassy Sound - about 15 pounds.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I've heard of a few back behind the Free Bridge. Some of the "old timers" told me that there used to be a hot spot for black drum behind Hereford Inlet. One of the guys I fish with caught a monster drum a few years ago, while bridge fishing near Hereford Inlet.
I've personally seen three drumfish all well over 30 pounds come up to the surface at night. The first one I saw I figured was sick, but after seeing a couple more I guess they like to come up under the lights at night. I never could interest any of them with my soft plastics though.
I guess if you fish enough you'll see all kinds of things...

[ 06-08-2006, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Far26 ]

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GOOD STUFF GUYS. FRANK THERE IS A CREEK BACK TOWARDS THE PARKWAY THAT IS CALLED DRUM THROUGHFARE,WHEN IT WAS NAMED MANY YEARS AGO. I WOULD THINK IT WAS CALLED THAT FOR A REASON?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I caught a small puppy drum behind Strathmere- a few years ago. It was in flat creek and I believe I was flounder fishing a sodbank area. I was not sure what the fish was at first b/c of the verticle stripes it had- but then realized it was unmistakeably a small drumfish. Prob went around 10-12lbs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Biggest, I have a copy of Lou Rodia's "Eastern Outdoors", page 6 of the November, 1995 issue... there is a picture of David Godowsky of Philadelphia with a 69 pound black drum he caught from the 96th st. bridge in Stone Harbor. He couldn't get the fish up but luckily for him another angler had a bridge gaff. He caught the fish at 4 a.m. and weighed it in at Smuggler's Cove when they opened.

FYI I had a similar experience there at night, catching one of my biggest stripers on a diamond jig. I wouldn't dare try to horse it up so another fisherman was kind enough to go down to the docks that were there at the foot of the bridge on 96th street, before the condos were built, and I led the fish to him and he pulled it up by the gills. I had a polaroid camera in my car so he took my picture and then I gave him the fish to take home. Great way to spend some time, and those bridge lights can make for a great target area.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I caught one about 10" at Anglesea. We caught a bunch of 5-6" in the Maurice River.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Ditto for Lou Rodia articles, I recall some articles about drum fishing in SH and in Deep Ditch. His wife Kathy or Dolres(??) has the "book of articles" in the shop.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
GOOD STUFF GUYS. FRANK THERE IS A CREEK BACK TOWARDS THE PARKWAY THAT IS CALLED DRUM THROUGHFARE,WHEN IT WAS NAMED MANY YEARS AGO. I WOULD THINK IT WAS CALLED THAT FOR A REASON?
I thought the same Jack. It sure would make fishing a whole lot easier if someone named each area with some kind of meaning. My fishing pals and I have nicknamed many areas that we frequently fish.
I've read my charts over and over, there are some pretty interesting names to some of the backwater creeks. How about Dung Thoro?

I know a small amount of red drum show up behind Hereford each season. Last year a 25-pound red was taken behind Stone Harbor. Drum Thorofare could be named for them maybe? I've also heard stories about how Hereford was home to an amazing red drum fishery years ago.
David Godowsky is the guy I was talking about. We call him "Philly Dave" or "Longhair Dave". He fishes and crabs all over South Jersey with his Dad. You can usually find him fishing during the fall run. Some nights I think the bridge is the only thing holding him up. :rolleyes:
He's told the story to me about 100 times, I'd probably do the same. At the end of each story he ends it with, "All I got was some funny looking hat and even that blew off after a few nights of fishing".

[ 06-09-2006, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Far26 ]

·
Registered
229 Posts
A friend caught one last year around the 96 bridge, around this time last year. Maybe a little later? He got it on a herring tipped bucktail and said it ran 50-70lbs. It broke him off right at the dock, I saw him the next night and the net he had was one of the biggest I've ever seen! The red was caught on a pink zoom around this time too.. Also heard of another pig that was foul hooked swimming in the shadows? A couple of years back. Have also heard if you find specs you can find reds too, That's something I've wanted to ask Dr. Bass......

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GOOD STUFF.

FRANK IN LATE SUMMER I'M GOING TO GO BACK DRUM THOROFARE AND CHECK IT OUT AND TRY SOME BELLIES.I LEFT MY BATHROOM CHART AT THE SHORE THIS AM. I THINK THERE IS SOME HOLE BACK THERE.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
Far and Big:
Yes, Drum Thorofare is named for red drum, not black drum. Reds were much more common in SJ up until the 1940's or so when a lot of factors pushed them out of the area. Corsons was the red drum capital of NJ. One major factor is the current lack of forage in the backwaters. Expansive oysterbeds, eelgrass flats, etc.. going away all led to the reduction of fish. Commercial fishing had an impact, but I believe the lack of viable habitat, and constant beach filling, had a much worse and longstanding impact.

BTW, what about Tarpon Gut in the Del Bay? Any ideas?? ;)

TLFB:
Yeah, specks and reds like the same habitats in the back. Find one and you'll most likely find the other, generally speaking. IMO, specks are more abundant in SJ, though.

[ 06-12-2006, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WHEN YOU GET ON THE DEL-MAR-VA TARPON ARE NOT A SUPRISE CATCH.I THINK A FEW BARNERS HAVE CAUGHT TARPAN IN NJ AND I BELIEVE ONE WAS BW.IF THE WEATHER STAYS TWO WEEKS AHEAD OF NORMAL WE MAY SEE ONE THIS YEAR. I THINK THE STATE RECORD IS 53.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Makes sense, I know we get tarpon in SJ. They just aren't around in any great numbers to be targettable. Just like permit, which we get quite a few of too. They should have definately been around last year. Ocean temps in the mid 80's last summer. Del Bay temps, you name it. Felt like 90 in some spots upstream, probably not though. ;) In some of my back spots temps are already up near 80. Who knows what this year will bring...

·
Registered
4 Posts
There was a black drum caught from the fishing pier next to the Avalon Pointe Marina in Avalon Manor early last November by John Wolf who recently relocated to South Dennis from Riverton. He weighed it in at Capt. Tate's (by Rusty) who also entered it in the A. C. Press' annual fishing contest. It took the "Other Than Boat" category and he received a cash prize. Photos of it also appeared in a January, 2006 A. C. Press fishing section that identified all of the contest winners. It was 71" long but I don't recall the weight, Rusty can verify the catch and the stats of the drum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts