BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how far guys are going out. I went out 10 miles off of Absecon island last week and got lots of shorts and only one keeper. Not sure if I just have to keep moving around or if the seabass are further out in deeper water. thx for any advice.

·
Registered
16,436 Posts
Dunno, I am headed out this morning but I don’t think the boat I am on plans to go very far. A couple wrecks I guess within 20 miles? I guess I will find out soon enough.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Try a little deeper if you can, 90ft+. If staying closer, move around a lot. There are keepers, but it's likely at 10:1 ratio shorts to keepers. We had 3 or 4 keepers out of 15 or so on a wreck in 45ft when we were trying to catch tog last weekend. We had caught our limits of sea bass before stopping for tog in 100ft.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Went out yesterday off AC only stopped once in 75', all the 12" I could catch. The swell was 3' and tight and I was alone so moving around was not an option. I used sqid, clams, some sea robin strips and some frozen peanuts. The bigger girls loved the peanuts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I went to tightlines bait and tackle today and the guy there told me best bet is 17 miles out at deep water wrecks. He said probably sparse at AC reef. That's too far for my 20' Key West, so I just went togging around the bridges. Wife was able to get a 15 1/2" keeper so she was happy. It sounds like I still could have tried the reefs and closer wrecks. Thanks for all the info. Lots of short tog in the bay.

·
Registered
16,436 Posts
We were fishing in about 65 ft of water. At first it was drop and reel, but like said above, a lot of the fish were 11-12” . I had about 15 short before I had a nice 15”. Overall, 4 guys I think we had about 10 keepers. Tried togging at a bridge before the dock, we had a few close tog, some shorter tog, and once again I lost a real nice tog on the way up. Never saw it but by the feel, I’m sure it was close to 15” or better.
We did move a few times. Each move resulted in less fish. Never leave fish to find fish.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts