BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fish out of Faunce Landing in Absecon and have been out 10 times this spring and have yet to even have a hit. My buddy has caught 2 fish and I have only seen maybe 3 other fish come over the side of other boats. I keep hearing from others "I had 17 fish yesterday" or "the Cape May fishing is unreal" or "the Mullica river is on fire". Anyone else think this spring has been the worst in the past 5 years? I may not be a pro, but I have caught my share of bass. This time last year I had 15 or so fish to show for my efforts. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
This spring has been really productive. Some of the best weather I can remember.
Listen, at some piont in time I think everyone here went through this. Change it up.
Try new things this year. Every island is different on our coast. Try a north to south bridge run. Put away the clams or break them out. If you use clams alot you may be less apt to change locations. And about locations, they are only good sometimes for only a few hours. I and alot of guys on this site have multple areas to hit when a bite dies somewhere during a tide a we move to other places which are good on that tide. Time on the water. Compare your trips in the reports and see what people did that you did not. And vice versa. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Try the really skinny water, during the No Bones Backwater friendly tourney(in WW) they were all over back there.

Just try some real quiet areas in your area and chum some clm bellies.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Things really slowed down the last week or so it seems with the bass. Before that it was average IMO. It should pick back up real soon when the next wave of fish moves through.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Originally posted by KeysKid:
Things really slowed down the last week or so it seems with the bass. Before that it was average IMO. It should pick back up real soon when the next wave of fish moves through.
I agree with you with the need for the next school coming through. I am thinking with the low pressure system coming around wed nxt wk we should be seeing new fish. goodluck

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Originally posted by UP and OVER:
If you notice alot of guys fish at night! Seems to be much more productive then the daytime.
I try to fish whenever I get the oppurtunity. Sight fishing during the day is fantastic. But I fish alot @ night right now. . They can be easy to catch since there is not an abudent amount of bait around. Don't rule out daytime in the spring they will bite all day long in the surf and flats.

[ 05-06-2006, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: insomniac ]

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The bass bite has slowed in Absecon Bay area this past week. It's a pick at best. I was at the ramp the other day and spoke to several people coming in after a whole day of fishing. Most had little success. It should pick-up next week. Try clam in 12-14' of water near sod banks.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well thanks for all the replies. Got out this morning around 5:00 and setup near a sodbank in about 17 feet of water. No sooner do I get the clam in the water when I have a hit, dogfish. My buddy then puts a 29 incher in the boat so I am really thinking the curse is on. 20 minutes later I finally put one in the boat, 26 inch bass. Circle hook and swimming for another day. Tossed a school bus bomber for awhile with no luck. Several more dogfish later and it was time for flounder. Picked up a nice 19 inch flounder on a green bucktail tipped with gulp bloodworm outgoing 10 feet of water. Had 2 other flounder both 16 inchers which were released unharmed, one on the bucktail with gulp bloodworm and the other on green bucktail with gulp 4 inch gulp shrimp. Also picked a nice 2 lb blue. Looked for the weakfish to complete the slam but no luck. Amazing what a good day on the water can do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts