BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Spring is great for pike!!!Depending on how far N you go will dictate the time of year.You can catch nice pike after ice out in the shallow bays in and around 1000 island area,usually happens in mid to late March.When is you break???Depending on your schedule will dictate when you go.Have you considered the lake Ontario NY area.This is an awesome fishery with pleanty of low cost fishing oppurtunities.

FC

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've fished Ontario 8 or 10 times, spring is always an excellent time. On my trips our targets were most always walleye and bass but even then many pike were caught incidentally. On a few occasions during one particular fly-in we had pike grabbing hooked walleye that were being reeled in and some of the pike were actually boated because they wouldn't release their hold on the 'eyes. These pike were cruising above and around a fairly deep rocky point that we were drifting over for 'eyes using worm harnesses and minnow tipped jigs.

In May and early June I've caught huge numbers of pike fishing big expansive weed/pad areas. I had the best luck using red/white Daredevil spoons, 5 diamond spoons and red eye spoons. They love red. However I've also caught numbers on all black and all white spinner baits throwing for bass.

Seasonal fishing patterns run about the same as they do down here except they often occur a bit earlier due to northern latitudes.

My favorite time is as I mentioned spring, next would be very late summer and early fall. Keep in mind that spring will put you there at the same time the black flies are out and they can be very bad. The farther north and off the beaten path, the worse they are. Shortly after the black flies calm down the mosquitoes appear. When there in black fly season our remedy was to stay in the cabin or on the water, you're rarely bothered by black flies while in the boat. You're there to fish so that's a good thing. Take bug spray with a high DEET content. Take coils to burn, if needed, while indoors. You might also want to consider a head net.

I've never fished Lake of the Woods but do know that it's excellent fishing. If you're flying in I think Cochrane Air services goes there. I've used Cochrane to access remote camps on the James Bay frontier, they're a top notch outfit. Contact Mark, he'll give you all the info that you need. In fact if you're not set on where to go check out Cochrane Air, they have about 20 remote lakes with one cabin and a few boats per lake. Excellent fishing and not a soul in sight. http://www.aircochrane.com/ whichever lodge you're using on LOTW or anywhere for that matter will be very helpful in giving you info to help you prepare.
Hope this helps a bit
Mike

·
Registered
595 Posts
The last two summers for a week in July I fished with a group of friends at Lac Seuel which is about 5 hours over the border from International Falls MN. We stayed in a camp near Perrault Falls above Dryden. We fished Lac Seuel and several other nearby lakes. The fishing is totally amazing. We caught limits of walleye each day for dinner. We also hammered smallies and northerns. We would toss big surface plugs near weed beds and pop them across the water. The northerns would come out of the water like guided missiles after the lures. Those lakes get very little fishing pressure and the fishing is memorable. Have fun up there. You can't go wrong. Remember your passport and that no alcohol is allowed on the boat.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I don't really know much about this. I went to canda several years ago but the Niagra Falls area. I don't remember much but I went fishing one time at a lake that ran right into the niagra river above th falls. One guys was targeting muskies and got one on a large spinner. I was young and thought it was one of the coolest things ever. This was in july but There are always tons of big fish bititng up there. I think spring time is dynamite though.:)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I am interested in possibly heading up to Ontario for my spring break. www.whitefishbaycamp.com
What time of the year is best to catch northern pike and muskies? It looks like this place has it all... muskies, northerns, walleye, yellow perch, crappie, and even smb and lmb. Anyone have any suggestions?
Right after ice out is best. Call the camp and ask them what the time frame is. It usually varies year to year. To be safe try to plan for a window 2-3 weeks after what their latest ice out date has been.

In May and early June I've caught huge numbers of pike fishing big expansive weed/pad areas. I had the best luck using red/white Daredevil spoons, 5 diamond spoons and red eye spoons. They love red. However I've also caught numbers on all black and all white spinner baits throwing for bass.

Seasonal fishing patterns run about the same as they do down here except they often occur a bit earlier due to northern latitudes.

My favorite time is as I mentioned spring, next would be very late summer and early fall. Keep in mind that spring will put you there at the same time the black flies are out and they can be very bad. The farther north and off the beaten path, the worse they are. Shortly after the black flies calm down the mosquitoes appear. When there in black fly season our remedy was to stay in the cabin or on the water, you're rarely bothered by black flies while in the boat. You're there to fish so that's a good thing. Take bug spray with a high DEET content. Take coils to burn, if needed, while indoors. You might also want to consider a head net.
Bass seeker gave some excellent advice. If you've never experienced the black flies and mosquitoes up there you're in for a treat. :razz: Worse than you can imagine when they're active, but the fishing is worth it.

I never fished LOTW, but we know people with cabins on the US side. Incredible fishing. If you just want trophy pike and walleye, you might also consider Caesar's Lodge on the Gouin Reservior in Quebec, one of the biggest in that area. The thing about fishin N of the border is if a place gets a lot of pressure you won't have much of a chance at a trophy 42-49" fish, so keep that in mind. We always tried to go to more isolated places for a shot at biggger fish.

1.Some info about Quebec, and pike fishing in general:

Cesar's and the Gouin Reservior (one of the area's largest) are very popular with other Canadians, which tells you something about the quality of the fishing. Many Canadians actually turn their noses up at the pike, and instead prefer to target the walleye, which can reach upwards of 20+lbs (mostly caught in special catch & release "trophy" lakes in that area). Pike range up to 45 lbs or so, most are smaller, in the 10-20 lb range, whereas average walleye are 2-10 lbs, but I think the Gouin is still known for trophy walleye fishing as well.

The Gouin is a huge system of lakes, inlets, islands, and portages. I think you could prob drive a boat for 2 weeks, and not even get a chance to fish half of it. Cesar's has had a good reputation for years. The owner and his family run a great operation (Oliver Broussard). Choices of American plan (meals and amenities supplied) or the European/Canadian plan (bring your own food, linens, and live in an outpost camp) help hundreds of budget conscious fishermen put together a relatively economical fishing trip.

The outpost cabins/fly-in lakes are spectacular, short on amenities (most of them), but long on rugged charm and allowing one to really feel close to nature, and God. I'm reliving my last trip in my head as I look at Mike's pics.

Anyone who lives in NJ, and goes to Reel Life Bait & tackle,(Point Pleasant) can ask Rich about fishing Cesar's. He goes every year with his sons.

Only bad thing are the black fires & mosquitoes, will attack you unmercilessly if you ever have to take a dump in the woods. No one fishes up there without 100% deet, except the old guide who we hired one time.

That old guide taught us to catch trophy pike by throwing out dead smelt, or herring, near the mouths/shorelines of feeder creeks. It's a little bit tricky to actually have the patience to go to a spot, throw out a 9" dead fish, and sit there for an hour, poised for a trophy fish to come along and inhale that dead bait. Have to hit it just right, and be patient, or the fish will be gone. You may only catch one a day using this method, but they will be trophies.

2. What to use for pike and muskies in Canada.
If all you brought was big daredevil spoons, anything red or flashy and red, you would have all you needed. You can still bring the stuff other guys recommend. It's better to bring it than need it and not have it. Try the smelt method if you can get them, or get frozen sardines, salt them and bring them.(If you're driving) You'll need to use some elastic to keep sardines on the hook, they fall apart as they defrost.

3. Whitefishbaycamp Ontario & LOTW options - I went to the site and checked out all the pages. Real nice looking place, and you have lots of big water to fish. :cool:

a. I would pick the Housekeeping plan if you're on a budget (they used to call it the Canadian plan because Canadians are inclined to spend less than Americans)...maybe they changed the name for political correctness.

b. Bring a hand held GPS, it's big water if you go out into the main areas. We used to do it by tying our old white socks on a pine tree on a point on the way out. Kinda like a trail of inedible breadcrumbs. :D
This way we could find our way back after we made turn after turn, after awhile all the wilderness starts to look the same. :eek: Cell phones didn't work where we were, you're really isolated if you want to fish waters that aren't hammered by others.

3. Bring a sturdy FW baitcaster with a sturdy stick and 20-25# test if you want to land a big pike, they put up a nice fight.
Also bring a medium rod, and at least 2 spinning reels in case one craps out on you. Also different line in case you need to change up.

4. Bring jigs for walleye, different weights. If you have to fly somewhere your weight may be limited, be aware of that. The best bait the locals use for walleye is leeches. See if they have them, they're killer.

Wherever you go, catch em up, bring the digital camera to take lots of pics. You may have trouble charging batteries if you go to an outpost camp. Bring extra. Personally, I would rather fish away from the crowd in an outpost camp. I've been camping for years, so being away from it all is the best feeling.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 6'6'' Shimano Convergence Muskie stick with an Abu C4 Ambassedeur with 50# braid for the big stuff. I can switch to mono if I need to. I also have a 6'6" MH shimano Clarusspinning, a 6'6" St Croix Premier spinning, and 6'6" M Shimano Convergence spinning that I would bring.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The Rideau Lakes region is good in the spring. Not far from Kingston ON there are a few lodges that are an hour or less west of the border crossing at 1000 Islands.
Sorry, I misread the info you were looking for. I thought you were looking for spots. Spring break could be very early right? You talking March, April? Not sure that would even be considered spring where you're going. Could be ice fishing. Wait until May and pike/muskie fishing will get good. Even if you don't get a guide for a day, any good lodge should have maps to help point you to some spots. They want you to catch fish and come back again. The first time my father went to the lodge that he's been going to for 20+ years (I have been going for 10 or more to the same place with him), the owner took him and a few boats out for a ride to show them tricky spots to navigate and places to fish near the lodge until they got comfortable running around shoals and islands, etc. GPS couldn't hurt either. Wire leaders are a must. I like the ones they sell to fly fishermen which are thin and can almost be tied like mono. "Toothy Critters" Not sure who makes them.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
we fish desert lake and otter lake in ontario about 30 mins north of kingston

if you are targetting the pike the Daredevils are the way to go as well as musky in line spinners they crush em big time

we usually catch a bunch of lm bass i use tubes and worms for them as well as zoom super flukes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.