BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and some buddies are going to hit the Florida Keys for a few days in mid-October. Maybe a little later. Has anyone fished down there that time of year? We've only fished there in April and May.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Aquasport,

Jill and I have been down there around Thanksgiving for the past 2 years. The fishing was decent each time, but it can be windy for extended time periods.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Good fishing if there are no tropical weather systems. Bones are getting active again, a fair amount of tarpon and permit, decent snapper and grouper fishing.

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. How about outside the reef? Are the dolphin heading out by then. I was thinking wahoo and king macks with the occasional 'cuda thrown in. I'm not much for flats fishing. Reef fishing and blue water trolling are my favorites. I guess the Gulf could start showing some Spanish and trout. I'm just guessing, though. It will be lobster season!!!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Sorry aquasport, but our fishing was limited to the flats and backbay areas. Spares Grey in the fly-fishing forum spends a lot of time fishing the keys, you may want post your question there.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Very few spanish, not cold enough. Scattered trout. Not many king macks, too warm. Plenty of cuda. Same sporadic whaoo you get most of the time in the Keys. Usually still decent dolphin but off peak. Swords should be good and the same occasional blue marlin.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you kidding? Nobody fishes the Keys in October, thats when FANTASY FEST is in full swing!!! naked people and party time, not even the guides get up early during FANTASY [email protected]!!!
(check the Key West web site "FANTASTY FEST...")

Been there in October about 10 times, we usually get king mac. few tarpon in the back but ALWAYS windy that time of year. also had a bout with a hurricane a few years back!!!

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upon further investigation, Fantasy Fest is in Key West. We will be in Marathon. Do the naked, freaky people migrate 47.5 miles northeast or do they stay around Key West? As for the wind, it's windy in March, April and May too. I've given up trying to plan around the wind. Thanks for the input guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts