BASS BARN banner

Anyone ever overcharge a Battery - Can you?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  russs 
#1 ·
I took the batteries out of the boat and charged them as I do every year in the winter. One seemed to have a lower charge on it, that was the house battery so I topped off with distilled water, not adding much and put it on the charger on Sunday, well I left it on until Tuesday night, went out the meter was down to 2 amps so it was hardly drawing any amps, checked the water, was still fine. The volts were over 14 but I had just taken off the meter.

wondering, can you overcharge? I always thought that damage was done when the water electrolyte boiled off and exposed the plates to damage them?

I did notice the house battery died in the summer twice when it went a few weeks without using it but I think I left it on ran it down, cannot be sure but they did charge up quickly and held a charge up to now so I figure they are good, they are only a year old. My other two lasted over 6 yrs.

#2 ·
I took the batteries out of the boat and charged them as I do every year in the winter. One seemed to have a lower charge on it, that was the house battery so I topped off with distilled water, not adding much and put it on the charger on Sunday, well I left it on until Tuesday night, went out the meter was down to 2 amps so it was hardly drawing any amps, checked the water, was still fine. The volts were over 14 but I had just taken off the meter.

wondering, can you overcharge? I always thought that damage was done when the water electrolyte boiled off and exposed the plates to damage them?

I did notice the house battery died in the summer twice when it went a few weeks without using it but I think I left it on ran it down, cannot be sure but they did charge up quickly and held a charge up to now so I figure they are good, they are only a year old. My other two lasted over 6 yrs.
Yes. Overcharging a battery occurs when the battery remains on charge after it has reached full charge. Overcharging causes excess heat that can cause the plates within the cells to buckle and shed their active material. Also, the battery will react to the overcharge by producing excess hydrogen and oxygen as the water within the electrolyte breaks down. The water that is lost due to overcharging can be replaced in a non-sealed battery; in a sealed battery the water loss is permanent and will negatively affect the battery's service life. Minn Kota's chargers will not overcharge batteries. However, it is important to check the electrolyte level approximately every 30 days.

#4 ·
That's what i think, there was no smells and the water level fine will watch it over the winter to see if it holds a charge.

#14 ·
That's what I use it's called a battery tender. I use the same thing for my Harley ... works great ... you just leave it plugged in ... it has a built in chip so it only charges the battery when it senses it needs it ... about $35 at a harley shop or JP cycles catalog.

#7 ·
Harbor Freight has float chargers for $10.
I bought 2 and keep my batts in the basement hooked up to them.
They have been down there since early Dec and it keeps them sitting at 13.6V. I check the water level weekly and they aren't boiling and the level has stayed constant.
Seems like a no brainer for $10. (X2)​

#10 ·

You should be ok. when a charger drives the voltage above 14.5, the battery will gas excessively. The damage is done when the plates uncover. My best guess is something was left on to draw the battery down or you have a bad cell. Leave the battery disconnected for 24 hours after full charge, then read the voltage with a digital voltmeter. 100% charge will equal 12.78 volts. If it drops below 12.0, you have a bad cell. A battery hydrometer will tell you which one.

#11 ·
Just checked, it has been 24 hrs and it reads 13 vdc, seems good but i will monitor throughout the winter. i like to give them a good hard charge first then store them and a light on when i put them back in the boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.