BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone ever read the book called "on the run" It's a great book about striper and is a pretty good story about a guy who follows the stripers migratory run.I haven't finished it yet but i am almost on the last quarter of the book.So far it is a pretty good story of how he follows the stripers and meet people that help him out.If you didn't read it i would recomend it, it's a very good book.

next on my list is my dads book called: "striper wars"

[ 03-07-2006, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: xxxJOEYxxx ]

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by xxxJOEYxxx:
I was wondering if anyone ever read the book called "on the run" It's a great book about striper and is a pretty good story about a guy who follows the stripers migratory run.I haven't finished it yet but i am almost on the last quarter of the book.So far it is a pretty good story of how he follows the stripers and meet people that help him out.If you didn't read it i would recomend it, it's a very good book.

next on my list is my dads book called: "striper wars"
I have read on the run...great book!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Both books are awesome. Read Night Tides, & then Striper Surf after you're done Striper Wars. Striper Wars is a must read for anybody who fishes for stripers though IMO.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Great book! Makes you want to go out and swim with the fishies!! Once I started that book, I could not put it down!
I am now reading Nite Tides, a story about Billy the Greek! A fisherman from Long Island. Interesting, but I find him to be alittle cocky! but some will enjoy it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my dad got it for me as a christmas present.It is a really good book and i have also heard that striper wars is an excellent book too,and my dad has it so when im done with on the run im going strait to striper wars.speaking of which i remember my first striper,it was in 04 it was a keeper and a early one too.it was the first week of october,it was about 9:00 at night and the tide was coming in,i was using a metal hopkins lure because the bluefish were hitting like mad.So i kept casting and every cast brung in a bluefish,it was crazy.Then I felt a big tug and hooked it,but when it got in close it jumped out of the water and went into the rocks of the pier but luckily the water didn't reach the rocks yet so i was able to get him.At first i was thinking i hooked a monster bluefish but soon I relized i had caught my first striper!He was 25 and a half inches,and was one of the few that where being caught.He was put in the cooler along with 9 bluefish,all of the blue fish where in the 1 to 3 pound range.Man that was a cool surprise!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Read both, very good! striper wars was a little too much politics and laws, not enough fishing for my attention span...but if you want the history of that fishery it is top notch! took me three times as long to read striper wars

·
Registered
288 Posts
The author of On The Run places you right next to him during most of his forays. A great read that I finished in no time. Also spoke on the forums at part of the SWS seminar series. Striper Wars is also great reading although much more politically biased. Really makes you appreciate the resolve of grassroots movements. Both books are worthwhile.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
ON THE RUN IS OUTSTANDING, some chapters make you feel like you are getting wet

STRIPER WARS brought back memories of the fights some of us were in trying to get the striper protected so you could enjoy what we have today
For those who were not around,it was one helleva battle and book should be read to understand the fight as there may come a time again when protecting the Striped Bass may be a priority
I hope not but you never know

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Originally posted by eelball:
1994-A 25 1/2" striper wasn't legal. But he looked good in the cooler. :(
I believe that he said that he caught his first striper in '04' at around 9:00 PM.
Perfectly legal XXXJOEY.XXX

All very good books.Better put the rest of them away now and save them for next winter. It's time to go fishing! Good luck to all!

[ 03-09-2006, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Keeper Seeker ]

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hey, I read both of the those books. On The Run will get you fired up for the fishing season. The chapter on "skishing" is pretty interesting.

Striper Wars is a good background on the history of striped bass regulation along the east coast.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yup,it sure does.In the summer me and my dad go fishing every weekend.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I read On The Run a few months ago. Great read. The guy who wrote it, David DiBenidetto is the editor of Saltwater Sportsman. I took the book with me to the seminar series this year and had him autograph it. He was super nice and talked game with me for a few minutes. class act.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.