BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
That's a great time to go! You can throw tubes (dark colors and crayfish colors) and senkos all day and catch fish, but early in the morning and later towards dusk, throw stuff that you have always wanted to catch fish on, but don't catch with consistently at home. I go out with just topwater each night after dinner.

Also throw stuff that you think the fish may not have seen before. Every year we find some new bait that sticks out from what the fish see all the time. When you go back to the dock, every rod in every boat will have a spinnerbait on it and lipless crankbaits, so I try to throw different stuff. Last couple years, the smallmouth have been hitting fat shallow running baits (like the old Scouts from way back), some that run so shallow they push a wake! My dad killed them with drop shotted gulp gobies one year.

Use wire if you are throwing anything besides tubes or soft plastic or topwater. That time of year, you can throw a spinner bait in any windy gaps between islands that have grass and catch a pike. They are also on wood right with the largemouths We don't usually target pike, but we always have a spinnerbait or jerkbait in yellow or white on for when we move from place to place with the trolling motor. Hope you have a good time. My father hooked me into it when I was like 21 or 22 and like I said, 20 years later and I am still going (despite the crappy exchange rate and the cost of the Passport :thumbsdown:)

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what water depth are smallies generaly in this time of yr there? r they prespawning? yea i think were fishing for whatever bites . more of a drinkfest for guys im goin with. they go every yr.thank you for responding.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
what water depth are smallies generaly in this time of yr there? r they prespawning? yea i think were fishing for whatever bites . more of a drinkfest for guys im goin with. they go every yr.thank you for responding.
Changes every year, but most years we get them pre-spawn just after memorial day, but for the last few years, smallies have been done and the largemouth are staging. First week of June should have bass, both LM and SM, in all different stages. Rock bass are annoying all year long. Bass are still on the banks on cover down to 10 feet deep. Smallies are up on shoals in the am and pm. Pike will be in the weeds and the drop-offs of shoals. Crappie on the bigger drop-offs suspended. Can you tell I can't wait :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.