BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mid April will be the earliest that you will catch anything there and that would be tog. Around mid May the bigger seabass will show up until about late June when the water gets too warm and then it will mostly be shorts with a few keepers mixed in. Fluke fishing will be good on the other hand. The bigger seabass will return around October when the water temps drop a little and they will stay around until the beginning of November when the water gets too cold in that depth.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this structure holds no fish in the winter? Seems odd that such a couple exceptional summer sppts lose their fish until late spring.

Don't the Taug take up residence for a lifetime?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Maybe a better question is:

If I am goign nuts being couped up at home and require some water time, fast, where in the Raritan Bay area would be a good bet to catch a few fish the third week of March?

Thanks for any mental health advice you could provide..........

Fred

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is just not much life at those shallow spots right now because the water is just too cold in the 30s. Tog migrate from offshore to inshore and vice versa depending on the water temp.

Right now, bottom fishing is tough. March is always a tough month because of cold water temps, especially this year. The weather is finally trying to get nicer and warmer (although not this weekend), but the water takes so much more time to warm up. If I was to go out in the next week or two, just for the hell of it, I would focus my efforts on wrecks out in the Mud Hole in about 150-200 ft of water. You may get some ling and a cod or 2 and maybe a tog. But don't expect much. If you wait a little longer until April you might be able to get some tog and ling at 17, but the water needs to come up to around 45 for that.
If you don't want to bottom fish, the stripers should be starting to get going in the back of the bay on clams and worms around April, depending on the future weather. And flounder too, but you are only allowed to keep 2 fish, so it may not be worth it. Good luck if you go

·
Registered
86 Posts
last year the rockaway reef got RED RED hot early, mid aprilish. we had phenomenal bottom fishing there through april and may, into june when the fluke fishing improved.

SH reef is nice, but too sticky for my tastes. I liked the rockaway a lot.
How much water is the Rockaway Reef in? And what were you catching in early to mid April, tog and ling and seabass later in May? Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
we caught seabass and tog there as early as april 15th last year, hot and heavy... its pretty shallow, about 35-45 feet. We did catch ling, cod, and bass on the structure piles there as well.
Cool. I'm surprised that you caught seabass that shallow that early in April. I started catching them around the second week of May. I guess it doesn't matter now though, as we are going to be shut down until May 22, at least that's what it is looking like now. The linging was sick last year around that time around scotland and other areas. I'm hoping that they are going to fill the void with the closed seabass season. I guess it's all about the water temps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cool. I'm surprised that you caught seabass that shallow that early in April. I started catching them around the second week of May. I guess it doesn't matter now though, as we are going to be shut down until May 22, at least that's what it is looking like now. The linging was sick last year around that time around scotland and other areas. I'm hoping that they are going to fill the void with the closed seabass season. I guess it's all about the water temps.
it was a 180 day closure, correct? that should be up by now, no?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.