BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going out of Absecon on Wednesday with my dad and potentially fellow Barner Joe D. We are going to troll the Dog Lump, Hambone, Triple Lumps, AC Lobster Pots and Lobster Hole. We may also bottom fish the AC Reef before heading in. We’ll be shoving off somewhere between 6:00 and 7:00 am. Will anyone else be in the vicinity? We are targeting bonito and possibly school dolphin. Spread will be cedar plug close in, green/yellow feathers and Clark spoons on 6-8oz drails. We’ll also have a livewell full of minnows in case we see some lock-jawed dolphin. Thanks.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Scott,
Gonna try to make a trip to the thrity next week during the week. Will let you know as it gets closer.

·
Registered
32,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We'll be stopping very short of there but you can wave as you go by :D

I'm guessing we will be out about 15 miles, tops. Is there a public ramp near the Absecon Inlet? Cape May Inlet is my home inlet and GE is my visiting inlet so I'm not too familiar with the Absecon area yet.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Scott... did Joe D sell his boat?

I may be running that route saturday with 2 guys I have coming down I think..... shoot me an e-mail on Monday and I'll fill you in on how we did....

·
Registered
32,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Skip. Inside of 15 miles? I was bringing some killies to throw at the pots or anything floating but I wasn't thinking tuna. Are we talking about the same spots?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I will be running out of Townsend and hoping to get out. We run a small boat, so weather will have to be just right. We maybe a bit lower, SI ridge area.
Do you have the numbers for the AC pots?

·
Registered
32,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Numbers are at home on chart plotter and chart. I'm at work now. I'm on a smaller CC as well so weather will have final say as to whether we eat pelagics or fluke that night. So far NOAA is saying 5-10 knots for Tuesday - like that means anything :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yea, the weather forcast is too far away to believe just yet.
If you remember or have the time, shoot me those #'s, it will be most appreciated.
I just received my planer today. The kit only came with 36 feet of 300 pound mono. That should get me to some where around 18 feet. Is this deep enough or should I look to add some lenght to the line?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Put some Moldcraft soft birds 5-6 feet in front of those feathers and possibly grab a pink or black/red C&H Lil Bubbler and hit those pots around the San Jose wreck. I bet the dolphin will be all over you. I don't even like to mess with bonito or anything else when dolphin are inshore. I just put out a topwater spread for the mahis and have a ball.

·
Registered
32,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'll take the dolphin over the bonito, too. We're just trolling for whatever will bite. I'm not sure how deep you'll need to be for the bonito. I haven't been out in a while. I've caught them on top, with 6 ounce drails and on planers, all in the same day. Just yell "look up" every time you mark a fish deep on your sounder :D .

·
Registered
465 Posts
Crystal - You can expect me not to ask you for the numbers when you leave a responce like that. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Scott,

I do work on the CB in Somers Point. I'm Chris. I finally got on here after a long time lurking.

I hope I can get some eyeball shots on the tuna on our trip this Sunday like your mahi. Don't know how many times I can replicate that though:D Good luck on your trip next week.

·
Registered
32,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Chris - how's it going? Yeah, that was a nice gaff-shot. I couldn't get used to that small hook, though ;) . We still don't know where we're dumping the boat but we know where we're fishing. Dog Lump, Hambone, Triple Lumps, AC Lobster Pots, Lobster Hole and (surprise) the San Jose Wreck :D . It was great fishing with you and Kenny and we're working on a charter right now (schedules are tough, though). If you guys are going to be out on Wednesday - we'll give each other a shout. Otherwise, we'll see you on the Blue later this year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts