BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone post pics of speckled trout, and kingfish for me? I've never targeted either and would like to have a pic to reference in case I pull one out. I'm 90% certain we pulled a trout out last weekend but I can't find a good pic. Thanks.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Speckeled Trout

Photo Courtesey of -SharkHart--Your Friendly Neighborhood StriperMan Caught 11/5

KingFish

[ 11-17-2005, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn, it wasn't a speck or a large kingfish...the search goes on.

Thanks for the pics!

[ 11-17-2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: The Reckoning ]

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Do they fight any better up here than they do down in Fla? The ones down there are like reeling in a wet sock. Nothing like a weakfish.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Originally posted by The Reckoning:
Can someone post pics of speckled trout, and kingfish for me? I've never targeted either and would like to have a pic to reference in case I pull one out. I'm 90% certain we pulled a trout out last weekend but I can't find a good pic. Thanks.
Describe what it looked like, Im sure one of us can tell ya what it was.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll give it a go. It was silver, larger scales, no stripes but a couple small dots. Mouth was not faced down like a drum or bottomfeeder. One dorsal fin, about 18 inches long I think. Had the shape like the king and not the long body like a weak

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I got into some JUMBO herring a couple weeks ago, could that have been it? What did you get it on?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

Yep, my guess also mch Sea Herring

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not a sea herring. The body was not as streamlined. It was caught near a bridge while using clam on the bottom for striper. We didn't get pics because I forgot my camera. Figures huh?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I have been hearing about some Spotted Hake being caught recently... ???

Also about the Specks, I havn't tangled with one for awhile now,not since I lived in the Wildwoods back in the 80's.But for the most part they fought just like the weakies.And as far as eating them, NO - too pretty...

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
I have been hearing about some Spotted Hake being caught recently... ???

Also about the Specks, I havn't tangled with one for awhile now,not since I lived in the Wildwoods back in the 80's.But for the most part they fought just like the weakies.And as far as eating them, NO - too pretty...
Really? Are they a different species than the ones they catch in Florida? My uncle is a die hard snook fisherman & hates "trout" as they call them. He'll move to another spot if he starts getting into them. I caught quite a few & they fought like walleye which was hardly at all. I thought he was crazy, that is untill I hooked a snook :D then I understood what he was talking about :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
mch,
they run smaller for the most part,I can see where a snook fishermen would get irritated by them becasue they are plentiful down there.
But on light tackle they are alot of fun..

I would guess southern jersey is about the northern most part you can find them,it seems that each fall they show up around hereford inlet.In years past we would always get a great bite off the North Wildwood beaches and up around Moores Inlet/Angleasea area when the water was deep in there..

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We did catch a couple niced croakers, but this one was like a cross between a croaker and red drum. No spot on the tail though. I've caught both reds and croaker before. I'm really stumped on this one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts