BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought one and was wondering what type, size and how much chain to use for an anchor.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I believe on my Dad's there's an 8 lb danforth with about 6' of chain. I would go a little heavier because it doesn't always hold even in sand when the wind or current is really ripping. The pilothouse really acts like a giant sail.
And congratulations on the new boat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AJ168 said:
I believe on my Dad's there's an 8 lb danforth with about 6' of chain. I would go a little heavier because it doesn't always hold even in sand when the wind or current is really ripping. The pilothouse really acts like a giant sail.
And congratulations on the new boat.
thanks alot man, how is the boat on the water?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am running a 23 also with15 ft of chain and a Delta Fast set hook on a windlass system.
Fish the Delaware Bay with it and its a great boat ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Runamuck said:
I am running a 23 also with15 ft of chain and a Delta Fast set hook on a windlass system.
Fish the Delaware Bay with it and its a great boat ;)
Whats a windlass system

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Something that's absolutely necessary on that boat.
A windlass is basically a mechanical anchoring system that stays at the bow and allows you to anchor from the helm by flipping a switch. I'm trying to convince my dad to get one right now because the major complaint I have of that boat is how hard it is to climb to the bow, especially in any kind of rough water. Once I do get one, I plan on at least adding some more chain. It's tough to handle any more than a few feet of chain when you're doing it by hand.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AJ168 said:
A windlass is basically a mechanical anchoring system that stays at the bow and allows you to anchor from the helm by flipping a switch. I'm trying to convince my dad to get one right now because the major complaint I have of that boat is how hard it is to climb to the bow, especially in any kind of rough water. Once I do get one, I plan on at least adding some more chain. It's tough to handle any more than a few feet of chain when you're doing it by hand.
how do you keep your anchor on the boat with the chain and rope. Do you use a pulpit or do you put it in a crate and put it down in the cockpit. I'm not sure how to keep.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Installed a bow roller .The anchor rest in that a the chain and rode goes into the anchor locker;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Runamuck said:
Installed a bow roller .The anchor rest in that a the chain and rode goes into the anchor locker;)
yea i have a pulpit with a roller on it. but you just leave the anchor on it i dont understand where is your anchor locker. I believe mine is underneath in side the boat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AJ168 said:
how do you keep your anchor stored on the boat. Do you use a pulpit?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AJ168 said:
how do you keep your anchor stored on the boat. Do you use a pulpit?

·
Registered
429 Posts
My boat has an anchor locker forward of the v-berth for my line and chain. My anchor is held in place on the pulpit by the windlass.

Anchor locker it is behind the white door - not sure how the 23's compare

you probably need to drill a hole through the base of your pulpit if your boat is new as they probably didnt know if you were going to add a windlass or not. My boat had no anchor locker access either when it was new. This is done so you can either add a windlass system or go without one without issue of predrilled access (make sense ;) ). make sure you seal the whole with resin when you create it to prevent rot.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
B-faithful said:
My boat has an anchor locker forward of the v-berth for my line and chain. My anchor is held in place on the pulpit by the windlass.

Anchor locker it is behind the white door - not sure how the 23's compare

you probably need to drill a hole through the base of your pulpit if your boat is new as they probably didnt know if you were going to add a windlass or not. My boat had no anchor locker access either when it was new. This is done so you can either add a windlass system or go without one without issue of predrilled access (make sense ;) ). make sure you seal the whole with resin when you create it to prevent rot.
yea its the same way with the 23ft the only thing is i dont feel like spending $1500 on a windlass system. Therefore how would you setup the boat with an anchor. Do i leave the anchor on the pulpit and take the rope and chain in a crate down below after fishing.how would you do it.

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
B-faithful said:
install an anchor drop pipe and a cleat to tie off the anchor and you will be set for cheap. Just be sure to seal the drop pipe well.

Here is a drop pipe (make sure you get the larger size or you will never be able to feed the rope through):
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/327990271msk.htm

BTW, a windlass should cost you more than about $780 plus wires. check out here:
http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store/product.php?productid=37894&cat=0&page=1
Thanks for the info im definitly going to go with the drop pipe. I have another question what size anchor do you think i should use along with the size and diameter chain and rope. I thinking about a 12lb or 13lb danforth is that ok.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When you brought this boat didnt the dealer go over any of this to you:confused:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Runamuck said:
When you brought this boat didnt the dealer go over any of this to you:confused:
i haven't pick it up yet its getting all the mods done now. Hey i am happy no matter what they tell me i saved about 7 grand so im good. For the first year i figured i would come across a few problems and not go crazy.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The anchor stays on the roller on the pulpit and is secured there by a line between the two cleats.
Runamuck, is the hole for the line and chain too small on your boat? It's so small on mine that the chain won't fit in there.

When you get the new boat, check the windshield wipers, Maycraft put the wrong switch in ours, so they won't turn off until perfectly in sync.

·
Registered
428 Posts
AJ168,
I have a windlass on mine and we install a oval shape deck pipe when not installing a windlass system on a MayCraft.;)
Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts