BASS BARN banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone old enough to remember Bill Upperman bucktail jigs? Brothers Bill and Maury Upperman produced these lures for many years. I remember watching them in their Atlantic City shop hand make each jig, first by pouring the lead, painting them and then tying on the real deer hair.

Back in those days there were only a few manufacturers of bucktail jigs and Upperman's Bucktails became world famous, especially after the US Navy put one, along with a length of fishing line, in each of their survival kits.

The Upperman brothers were accomplished fishermen and true sportsmen. I remember Maury Upperman telling me about a huge pickerel they caught while trolling for stripers early one spring in a local river. Back then there was a season for pickerel and it didn't start until the next day. On their hand held scale the pickerel came in slightly under 10 lbs. The world record at the time was 9lbs. something so this was a potential world record. Ever the sportsman, Maury released the pickerel. To this day, I feel that the people's world record for pickerel is held by Maury Upperman.

I should have kept a couple unused Upperman lures in the original package, but they were such great producers I used all mine up!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Collectors item now, Seabear. I see them on ebay once in a while selling for quite a bit of money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts