BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cancelled fly charter for this morning due to the wind, no water in the back and inlet and beachfront too nasty. I was visiting buddy later in the day and spotted his neigbhor with a flyrod. Had to check it out. I had talked to him a year ago. He does his fishing in the Chesapeake and Baltimore Harbor. He ties flys and gave me two that seem to be real hot in his area and said to see how they work up here.

He said they work really well. They are supposed to be minnows or mud minnows. He said guys are also using a version of those colors for crab flys and doing well.

Anyone use these colors before? They look like they will work. I have never used flys with that more of a copper tone to them.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Ray,
The copper or gold tints works great in off colored or stained water. The color combo looks very nice.
I was just thinking of a color combo that does not scream flourescent....
Yellow and light olive look very natual.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's probably why they work well in Baltimore Harbor. The water there is pretty murky. With the weather I am spending some time today tying some flys while watching weather channel. My brother lives in Palm Bay and they have been getting hit pretty hard. He is supposed to come up this friday for a few days to fish with me and my dad. If he is hit too bad he won't be comming up. Right now it isn't looking too good.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Looks like some of my redfish flies. Use them sometimes for bass. They seem to like them. Ron

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might be awhile before I can give them a shot. Cancelled tonights Fly charter due to the wind and it looks like more wind for tomorrow. Being that they are clousers I will have to use them in alittle deeper water. Back where I regularly fish it is very shallow and you can't let anything hit on the bottom. It is all covered with grass and green junk.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Ray If you want to try them there, tie the same flies without any weight, weedguards if you think they are needed & floating line. Hope you can get out. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
They look like classic smallmouth clousers. I'm sure the bass around here would smack them around :D .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those are called crab colored clousers. The color combination was developed by Joe Bruce in Baltimore. They are extremely productive for stripers, blues and hardheads in the Chesapeake. This has become my go to fly for most of the season. I've also had great luck in Florida on speckled trout, reds and ladyfish with this pattern.

Kirk Grassett

[ 09-09-2004, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Kirk Grassett ]

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Hey Kirk WELCOME. Glad to have you aboard. Where are your home waters? Again, welcome. Ron

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kirk, Welcome to the barn. That's what I was told. Seems to work great down in your neck of the woods. Winds have kept me from giving them a shot. I think they will work just fine. Looking forward to trying them and those colors look like crabs colors. I assume you are fishing the Chesapeake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sparse grey,
I fish the Chesapeake from the Susquehanna Flats to almost the Virgina line. I gather that most guys on this board fish the NJ shore. I've fished over there a few times with a friend. Caught the tail end of the bluefish bite this spring in the Atlantic City area.

Kirk Grassett

1 - 11 of 11 Posts