BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I find a jigging rod to match with my new Stella 20000sw, I was wondering whether anyone has used these high end spinning reels to pitch baits (like sardines) away from the boat for tuna or whiteys? I have to imagine that pitching a sardine at dawn could be effective as long as you don't deadstick/highstick the rod into the holder.

Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
the reels are and can be used for everything.
even trolling, a little, although not really recommended.
some guys are getting "double duty" rods.

not everyone does the mechanical jigging.

so a double duty rod, handles alot of different situations.

·
Registered
643 Posts
John-

I used to use shimano baitrunners & penn 750 in Fl for sails and blackfin matched with heavy offshore style rod. Even used to troll with same rods. Only major problem with live linning or baitfishing in that manor with spinning rod is you want to keep the bail open. Big fish especially tuna have violent initial runs and make it difficult to close bail. You have to do a quick drop of the rod to get enough slack to close and the way line falls off a spinner you can end up wrapping the tip and snap it off.

I am a big fan of the shimano matched jigging rods and don't see how you can go wrong at $170 retail on their most expensive model. I have a diawa for my spin jigging stick but have not caught anything bigger than 15 lb yellowfin to date on that one.

Talk soon.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John-

Only major problem with live linning or baitfishing in that manor with spinning rod is you want to keep the bail open. Big fish especially tuna have violent initial runs and make it difficult to close bail. You have to do a quick drop of the rod to get enough slack to close and the way line falls off a spinner you can end up wrapping the tip and snap it off.
Yeah, I was wondering about that part :(

Hope all is well,
John

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
John-

I used to use shimano baitrunners & penn 750 in Fl for sails and blackfin matched with heavy offshore style rod. Even used to troll with same rods. Only major problem with live linning or baitfishing in that manor with spinning rod is you want to keep the bail open. Big fish especially tuna have violent initial runs and make it difficult to close bail. You have to do a quick drop of the rod to get enough slack to close and the way line falls off a spinner you can end up wrapping the tip and snap it off.

I am a big fan of the shimano matched jigging rods and don't see how you can go wrong at $170 retail on their most expensive model. I have a diawa for my spin jigging stick but have not caught anything bigger than 15 lb yellowfin to date on that one.

Talk soon.
same thing happens when the damn tuna hit on the drop when jigging:D:D

·
Registered
643 Posts
Good problem to have but you don't have to worry about it for another 5 mos!

Have fun in Turks, been there twice but did not go fishing. Provo has a big marina and plenty of charters just make sure you don't get some touristy boat ride. Stay away from the boats that cater to the all inclusive resorts.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good problem to have but you don't have to worry about it for another 5 mos!

Have fun in Turks, been there twice but did not go fishing. Provo has a big marina and plenty of charters just make sure you don't get some touristy boat ride. Stay away from the boats that cater to the all inclusive resorts.
Thanks--think I will pass on the fishing this time. I have an underwater camera housing for my Canon G7 Powershot that I am looking forward to trying out on the local reef life. My wife and I were in Provo (Regent Palms) last April for a few nights and loved it and are looking forward to just getting away for 4 nights. The rest of our vacation schedule is Seasame Place, Hershey Park, etc--you know the routine ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been doing it for a few years with not so nice tackle. I use a Spheros 1400 FB and a Penn 850SS for both jigging and bait fishing. It works and I like the feel of a spinner a lot better than the big heavy 50 wides. So far I have caught plenty of 50-120 lb BFT and 30-50 lbYFT on both. I have hooked a few slobs but they always get away. My next purshase will be either a Sargosa or the new Saltist spinners and a 6ft 300 gram rod. My rods right now are also cheap, a Hopper 500 gram spinner and a cut down Diawa boat road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.