BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody I work with found a freshly dead woodcock out in the woods yesterday. I guess it didn't eat its weight in worms that day so it keeled over. I figured I could use the feathers as crab/crayfish legs and claws, gills/eyes on streamers, and nymph wet hackle, but what else could I use them for? There is a lot of variety in the feathers. Some are like hen back hackles, short, soft, and stubby, while others are primary feathers, long and stiff. Still others on the belly are marabou-ish, tan, cream, and gray. I have a whole bag of these cool feathers which I really don't know what to do with, besides a few patterns. Any suggestions?

By the way, woodcocks are not endangered or anything, although they are really tough to find when alive. So I don't think I'm breaking any laws by harvesting the feathers.

[ 02-06-2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
LMAO - you definitely didnt break any laws - it was dead :D

Not positive but I think my uncle uses them for salmon flys.

BTW - nice picture - what camera do you have? I need to buy a new one - it went for a swim with me :(

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think you listed them all. Time to get out the fly pattern books to look up some obscure patterns from the 1800's. ;)

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
use them for freshwater the bar markings make for great nymph legs when polmared,gives an awsome segmented look,also for wet fly hackle sub surface pupa stage,never tried them for salt,but i think they would work for numerious patterns,what a great find!!!!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
[ 02-07-2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Rowdy125 ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rory,
I know they are a game bird, but I didn't kill it. I could have killed as many as I wanted this winter, if I really wanted to, and nobody would ever know about it ;) . I have plenty of them in the deep woods surrounding my yard. I know it's illegal to harvest roadkill without a permit, but this was deep in the woods, and not a mammal.

Brian:
My camera is a Nikon Coolpix 5700. I can take pics up to 5.1 MegaPixel, but I usually leave it on the 3.2 MPx setting. If you want a professional style digital camera (not point-and-shoot), but can't afford a digital SLR, this one is the best you can get. It has a point-and-shoot setting, but it also has shutter priority, aperture priority (f-stop), completely manual, and about a zillion other features. It's still pricey though. It's got an 8X optical zoom too (400mm equiv), which you can't find on other non-SLR cameras.

V:
When I saw it, that's the first thing I though: nymph legs. I could also use it as a gill or eye on streamers. They are pretty small feathers though, so the saltwater uses are limited. Crab legs and maybe shrimp are all I thought of.

DaveS:
"Obscure pattern" is my name :D .

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
FLY TY R,those mottled wings couls be sprayed with a clear coat,used for some awesome wing casings for stoneflies as well,and with that coloratin of the wing i think after i sprayed a few,i would have to try to incorpoate them into a crab shell of some sorts,calico mottled hmmmm ;) maybe trimmed tied in flat along back of some sort of clouser/type fly.shell/feather facing the point side.of course this would have to be a small patern, just a thought.

·
Registered
315 Posts
[ 02-07-2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Rowdy125 ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about if I just throw them back into the woods? :D

·
Registered
5,180 Posts