BASS BARN banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
1,718 Posts
I am very happy to see you young guns trying to do what you can to preserve this great fishery!!!! BUT do you remember when WE the little older folks had and did BUY the metal tags for TROPHY bass--Yes we did c&r with those tags--Just asking--beat me up I wll be here--:fighting:

And yes trolling is good--But what does that have to do with Right And Wrong??
Because most of the jiggers aren't meat fisherman so they release alot. If they wanted to fish the most effective way they would troll. But trolling for stripers with 2lbs of lead isn't very fun :).

· Registered
2,313 Posts

· Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
and this is just from one marina....last fall we kept one bass, all other stripers were tagged and released. You can't keep killing these big fish and expect them to be around forever....

· Registered
2,313 Posts
and this is just from one marina....last fall we kept one bass, all other stripers were tagged and released. You can't keep killing these big fish and expect them to be around forever....
Wow-this is the one you kept:bow::bow::thumbsup::thumbsup:

· Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Yes I read it

My question is: do you think that a bleeding bass will survive? Here is a pic to show how much blood it was losing.. I know if we keep the bass, it has 0% of recovering. I know there is really no way to tell but I am curious what others think. I did tag this fish before I released it so only a recapture would tell for sure....
good job--:thumbsup::thumbsup:

· Registered
1,056 Posts
I saw MANY of guys/boats/reports etc of boats limiting out up here with fish to 40# regulary this fall...it was a great run...I mean we're pointing fingers but in all reality...we rape as much as we can (legally) and don't bat an eye because "we're aloud to it's legal"....

I aggree that catching those fish and killingthem isn't great...but then again maybe it was their personal bests...etc etc...

I took a 42" 30# striper this year, and a few 28-32"ers.....the 42" only because it was the biggest I've ever caught...I can say that if I catch that again it's going back in the drink...I will keep one if it's bigger maybe...or just get measurements for a mount...
Totally agree with this and a lot of guys up here are doing 2-3 trips a day. Some are using bonus tags and also charter guys captain and mate keeping limits. Think about it, think about how many boats are out in the rips on a nice fall day or up on the slougs during the spring run. A lot of boats catching a LOT of fish. Doesnt matter if they are 20,30,40 or 60lbs. The striper fishing is taking a real pounding from everyone Charter and private up and down the coast. Any guys here on BB should really think about at least talking to people they fish with weather a charter, private or party boat about maybe taking 1 fish per person and releasing the rest. Even if they say "It cost me big $ to go fishing, Im keeping what I catch" 1 fish with 5-15 lbs of fillet is worth about $7.00-14.00 per lb at fish market ( $10.00 per lb times 10lb of fillet = $100.00 worth of fish). I know this is going to make some guys upset but if we do not do something across the boards up and down the coast NO ONE will catch stripers in the future. I know this first hand, the same thing happened with the tiderunners from the 70's-80's. For several years you could go out and catch 10-20 between 8-10 lbs. each trip and never thought it would end. Guess what it did.
I was fortunate this year to catch about 40 stripers this year from surf or boat and only kept 3. Could of kept more legal size but thought hard about it and released them.
The guys in Virginia are only doing the same thing that MANY guys up here were doing only a couple months ago. Look back on some of the posts in Sept/October on this site and you will see EXACTLY the same thing, maybe not same size but same reports and pictures.
BK

· Registered
90 Posts
Hello anybody home????????

:eek:Is there any politician or lobbiest out there see where the real regulation problems are?? Or really give a damm.........:nuts: You got to be kidding me... this is the most assenine set of double standards ive ever come across on this site .... gotta go think im gonna puke !!!!!Jersey and Delaware should send some staties and fish and game fellas to clean up that mess...............Cmon ...NOAA WHAT?

· Registered
9,469 Posts
I saw MANY of guys/boats/reports etc of boats limiting out up here with fish to 40# regulary this fall...it was a great run...I mean we're pointing fingers but in all reality...we rape as much as we can (legally) and don't bat an eye because "we're aloud to it's legal"....

I aggree that catching those fish and killingthem isn't great...but then again maybe it was their personal bests...etc etc...

I took a 42" 30# striper this year, and a few 28-32"ers.....the 42" only because it was the biggest I've ever caught...I can say that if I catch that again it's going back in the drink...I will keep one if it's bigger maybe...or just get measurements for a mount...

Ding ding ding !!!!!! Welcome to NJ home of the Hypocrite. Do as I say not as I do !!!! Great read boys !!!!

· Registered
429 Posts
How many big spawn fish per angler per trip is a recreational angler allowed in DE Bay and off S. Jersey? :huh:

Point is that throughout the entire migratory run of these highly sought after fish if the creel limit went to one spawning stock bass the harvest would on them would be cut in half. As a Maryland resident I applaud NJ for attempting to change its regulations to one smaller slot fish and one spawning stock fish per angler per trip and hope it goes through. I also hope others in the ASMFC follow the lead.

· Registered
671 Posts
you know I could'nt agree more. The Jersey fisherman are just as bad no doubt. Just cause its legal does not make it right.

AMEN!! I have many friends who kept fish over 40lbs this past spring and summer. They simply say its legal, who cares the charter guys are doing it everyday why cant I. I cant argue with that.

I just cant wait when this entire thing implodes. Every year it gets worst and yet we as fisherman collectively continue to destroy this resource. Some one please correct me if im wrong but wasn't this fishery at one point not to long ago pretty much non existent and a moratorium was set in place to rebuild the stock?

· Registered
328 Posts
The real problem with all the fish being killed down there is that they are not legal fish. For some reason, the fact that a great deal of the fish caught down there are caught well outside of the 3 mile line, is just ignored. Charters as well as recreational boats travel up to 12 miles offshore when the water is too cold for them to come inshore. This is a fact and everyone just seems to turn there back on it down there. I do not like to be a rat but the charter boats that follow the laws take a beating at the dock when not much is going on inshore. Your returning to the dock empty handed and all the boats from the fleet that headed offshore are coming in with garbage cans full of bass. There will always be a debate between catch and release vs keeping your limit. However these boats are keeping a ton of fish that are not within there rights of keeping.
Like I said there will always be an argument to both sides on catch and release. For those calling the NJ fisherman a hippacrit, those saying we do the same thing, and for those arguing the ethics of whether or not it is ok to keep your limit- **This is not the main issue down there. These fish are NOT being caught within the fishermen's rights. These are all illegal fish. Its called poaching and should be treated as so. It is plain and simple, you can not fish for bass outside of 3 miles - these boats are set up 8-12 miles offshore. Its not a jealousy thing, its not us being bored, they are illegally killing all of these fish. If it was a commercial guy breaking the law on his catch everyone would be pounding him but for some reason we think its ok for us to?

· Banned
2,531 Posts
I do not keep big fish, so I am playing my role, as part of the solution. I do not need to get my ego stroked at the dock, bringing in huge fish.

· Registered
605 Posts
lucky stripes you may have never fished outside 3 miles i fish a lot on private boats outside 3 and we keep some any day i have been there there are a lot of boats there like i said before and most charter boats on here i have seen there they might be catch and release but first impression counts so we are doing the same as in virginia

· Registered
771 Posts
Here are a few thoughts...

1. Trolling for bass is gay....its like hunting deer with a tank. Its my opinion that anyone who trolls for bass needs to try jigging. Troll for tuna, and marlin, not bass.

2. 25-65lb bass don't taste nearly as good as 18-28" bass. Why not have a 1 fish 18-28" limit for all anglers...I could careless about the whole "I only get one shot a year to fish for bass." Work harder, better yourself, buy a boat and fish whenever you damn well please.

3. It doesn't matter because fuel is going to go back up to 4 bucks a gallon and as a result there will be much less charter pressure in coming years.

4. The scary thing is....these catches are being reported. There are countless cows poached from MD rivers in april during the spawn....

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.