BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never been surf fishin in April. Coming down April 26th. Any suggestions for clothing, boots etc?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
dress warm and dry

air temps can differ greatly between the beach and just a couple of miles inland during this time of the year
much cooler along the water due to still cold water temperatures

layer up , bring your waders and dry top

·
Registered
938 Posts
air temps. have no barring on the weather you will face.
if the water temp. is in the 40's and the winds are 10-15knts
that will put the wind chill in the 30's and keep in mind your going to be out there for six to eight hours! layer apon layer apon layer!

heres the funny part, just a few miles inland it could be 68 degrees
and not a breeze to be found!

hope this helps

LONEWOLF856 :cool:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
LONEWOLF856 said:
air temps. have no barring on the weather you will face.
if the water temp. is in the 40's and the winds are 10-15knts
that will put the wind chill in the 30's and keep in mind your going to be out there for six to eight hours! layer apon layer apon layer!

heres the funny part, just a few miles inland it could be 68 degrees
and not a breeze to be found!

hope this helps

LONEWOLF856 :cool:
Exactly what he said. Remember that once you get a chill you will be miserable, but you can always peel off some layers.

·
Registered
330 Posts
All good advice. I think it also depends on what type of surf fishing you are doing. If you are plugging and jetty hopping, you might want to dress a little lighter because you will be working up a sweat. Also you want a good layer that will wick away moisture from your body. When you are moving around you might not be able to just take off a layer. You don't want to be carrying around and extra sweatshirt or turtleneck while you are fishing. If you are bait fishing and staying in one place, then by all means, layer up and take off as you need. you can just put the layers on the ground next to your stuff. I usually plug and if I need an layer change I usually wait til I get to my car and do a change before I hit my next spot. Also keep another set of clothes in the car!!! This is very important!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Waders, hat, layers & an extra dry set of clothes. A cold day is tough , with warm & dry clothes you will be able to fish. Good luck (3 weeks blue fish)

·
Registered
190 Posts
along with the others recomended try buff headwear. i wear it with a baseball cap. it is very light and soft yet retains heat extremely well while pulling out moisture. they can be worn various ways (on head over ears, around neck like turtle neck, over head and neck, over neck and face like a cowboy) they look like a cutoff sleeve and not worth the money. i started using it because it doesnt itch and you can breath threw it. basspro has them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts