BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
If you are catching them in DB I would say yes because the dark color of the water, if you are fishing in areas where the water is clean and clear I would say stay with fluro carbon leaders that you are using

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I have never fished the deep reefs but if I did I would probably use heavier than 30 lb fluro carbon because of rocks and debris maybe 40 or 50lb just to be safe and encase you hook into something bigger. The strength of my main line would also come into consideration

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Kamikaze frisbees with mouths and fins. I doubt they are leader shy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
So the Flounder do have a good eye sight? If they do Fluorocarbon will go a long way. I have always used Seauger when Steelheading in the Great Lakes. 4-6 lb test. It was a must for them.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I remember having this very conversation with Chunking when I was on the Board of the PA-RFA at an RFA meeting years ago where he spoke on tying rigs and fishing for fluke.

His argument was that he used nothing but mono to tie his rigs for fluke and never had any kind of problem catching. My argument was that if there were some fish that were leader shy that he would never know because they wouldn't bite, so I used nothing but the more expensive flouro to hedge my bets...

Years and many, many fluke later I am convinced you could use a piece of rope and they would still chomp on bait if they are on the chew..... go a little heavier if the area you are fishing has lots of Barney Rubble and you are worried about abrasion... but don't worry that they won't bite what you dangle in front of them... they will.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Not leader shy....40 lb mono leader material on my rigs and 30 on some applications....wasting money on floro but if it works in your head stay with it, im goofy like that with some things...

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
My grandfather use to fish with some kind of weird line he'd call "catcrap" :huh:, and his rig was a weird looking 10"-ish spreader bar thing with "leader line" that looked like it was made of white plastic with a blue stripe in it, and gold hooks on the end with a red/pink bead.

And he caught more fish than the rest of us put together.

Granted, we were idiots in the presence of a real fisherman, but the fish didn't seem afraid of his thick plastic leader at all.

·
Registered
251 Posts
leaders

When fishing in shallower water such as Great Bay, I definately get more fluke bites on the lighter leader/lines.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Save your money when it comes time for fluke/flounder. Go with mono, they do not care! Wreck fishing probably better to be a bit lighter so you can break off if snagged! Floro is nice, just way too expensive IMO!:)

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
My grandfather use to fish with some kind of weird line he'd call "catcrap" :huh:, and his rig was a weird looking 10"-ish spreader bar thing with "leader line" that looked like it was made of white plastic with a blue stripe in it, and gold hooks on the end with a red/pink bead.

Granted, we were idiots in the presence of a real fisherman, but the fish didn't seem afraid of his thick plastic leader at all.
I still have two of those, spreader bar contraptions.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the concensus is no, flounder are not leader shy.
Thanks, I've just been toying with maybe 50# to avoid some of the twists that occur in the deep sometimes.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts

When I was a boy in the 50's, we used those rigs (flounder spreaders) all the time when we fished in the Cape May Canal. Also had some high/low rigs made out of the same materials. Double header flounder bites were common, and it was no problem filling a bushel basket just a short trip from the dock. I sure miss those times, now that I have to run 20 miles to the OG to catch a few keeper flounders.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
cat gut

Cat gut was what my uncles called it

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
winter flounder rigs?

I still have two of those, spreader bar contraptions.
To me flounder are the winter variety fluke the the summer run. I still have a few of those brass spreader bar contraptions for winter flounder. I remember the fluke rigs with the long hooks with the smaller hook attached to it. How about the store bought cod rigs the line looked like a tarred carpenters dry line

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts