BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to continue my education...

for trolling are more lines in the water better?

i hae a 25' boat with little 12' single riggers. i usually will run between 7-9 lines in my offshore spread. i do not run teasers, but i do try to pull my dredge as much as possible, even for the inshore trips. my mandatory spread consists of jr ilanders and hoos off the riggers, spreaders off each roof corner (kinda like a short rigger), another skirted hoo down the middle, and nakeds on the flats. these baits are rarely changed out. depending on the bite, i pick a few of the following to fill out the spread-wwb with GM/bird or islander hoo, meat or spoon on planer, small bird w daisy chain, cedarplugs, chugger or more skirted hoos.

i see some boats only run 5. i could see on smaller boats without riggers, but ive been on some larger ones that run only that. is a bigger spread better?

i do recognize that less lines means less to clear if mayhem ensues. but is that the only reason?

·
Registered
191 Posts
to continue my education...

for trolling are more lines in the water better?

i hae a 25' boat with little 12' single riggers. i usually will run between 7-9 lines in my offshore spread. i do not run teasers, but i do try to pull my dredge as much as possible, even for the inshore trips. my mandatory spread consists of jr ilanders and hoos off the riggers, spreaders off each roof corner (kinda like a short rigger), another skirted hoo down the middle, and nakeds on the flats. these baits are rarely changed out. depending on the bite, i pick a few of the following to fill out the spread-wwb with GM/bird or islander hoo, meat or spoon on planer, small bird w daisy chain, cedarplugs, chugger or more skirted hoos.

i see some boats only run 5. i could see on smaller boats without riggers, but ive been on some larger ones that run only that. is a bigger spread better?

i do recognize that less lines means less to clear if mayhem ensues. but is that the only reason?
we have a 35 bertram with double spreader riggers and a center rigger and allot of times we only troll 6/7 lines....also depends on how many people you have on board. most times there is only 2 or three of us so clearing 12 lines can be tuff

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I run 7 comfortably and have run 9 . Seems like more trouble then its worth most times . 2 on outriggers , 2 on out rodders , one on center rigger , 2 on flats clipped to relese clips on transom . Extra two in holders between rodders and flats . The key for me has been that I can pull the Sterling bars off the riggers . Four bars out of seven rigs makes a lot of splash

·
Registered
279 Posts
It really depends on what you feel comfortable with and how many fish you can reel in at the same time. I run 11 lines most of the time, but im also on a 44 with triple riggers.

When the longfin were around heavy this year I was only running 7 and no meat, because once I had them up, I wanted the lines back in the water asap

5 is the absolute minimum id run, I like odd numbers. If running fewer lines, I would run more bars, and the more lines I have out, the less bars.

I think the most lines I ever ran was 23, but I was bored and it was calm out

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Keep it simple 2 long riggers,2 flatlines, 1 rod down the middle and then your teasers. If they won't come up with 5 baits in the water they will not come up with 7 or 10 in the water.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Keep it simple 2 long riggers,2 flatlines, 1 rod down the middle and then your teasers. If they won't come up with 5 baits in the water they will not come up with 7 or 10 in the water.
I was just WAITING for you to chime in lol.

Honestly and objectively speaking...why?

For Marlin/tournament fishing I can understand. You troll select, performing, and purpose deployed baits for marlin. If a white takes a bait, crosses over 5 lines, you might be out of the money. So the best practice there is run a manageable spread.

However, what about tuna? Last year we went 5 for 7 on one bite. If you have 8 guys, why not run 8 lines?

Just doesn't make sense to me to limit your chances. I've had times running 7+ lines where it looks like asteroids were landing in our spread. I personally don't think that bite would have happened if someone was running minimum amount of lines.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I was just WAITING for you to chime in lol.

Honestly and objectively speaking...why?

For Marlin/tournament fishing I can understand. You troll select, performing, and purpose deployed baits for marlin. If a white takes a bait, crosses over 5 lines, you might be out of the money. So the best practice there is run a manageable spread.

However, what about tuna? Last year we went 5 for 7 on one bite. If you have 8 guys, why not run 8 lines?

Just doesn't make sense to me to limit your chances. I've had times running 7+ lines where it looks like asteroids were landing in our spread. I personally don't think that bite would have happened if someone was running minimum amount of lines.

The guy that started the thread is fishing out of a 25 foot boat which means he probably only fishes with 3 or 4 people on the boat so hooking 7 or 8 fish at 1 time for him would probably be a nightmare and he would end up losing most of the fish to tangles and cut offs.

Yes on some days having a few more lines in the water could produce a few more bites but I know from our log books over the past 20 years when we use to fish 8 or 10 rods to the 5 we fish now our amount of bites is almost the same and our catch to bite ratio is higher due to less tangles.

Everyone has there own ways of fishing and theories but I can tell you I have fished with many top captains all over the world for tuna and marlin and most of them pull 5 rods at the most.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
The guy that started the thread is fishing out of a 25 foot boat which means he probably only fishes with 3 or 4 people on the boat so hooking 7 or 8 fish at 1 time for him would probably be a nightmare and he would end up losing most of the fish to tangles and cut offs.

Yes on some days having a few more lines in the water could produce a few more bites but I know from our log books over the past 20 years when we use to fish 8 or 10 rods to the 5 we fish now our amount of bites is almost the same and our catch to bite ratio is higher due to less tangles.

Everyone has there own ways of fishing and theories but I can tell you I have fished with many top captains all over the world for tuna and marlin and most of them pull 5 rods at the most.
Well on the 25' boat i do agree. You can only fit so much manpower in a boat like that so running more than 5 lines is a bit much. There are guys with as small as 25'-26' boats that run a ton of lines. More power to them, don't know how they do it.

What about boats like Canyon Runner? Those guys were one of the first well known boats to publish that they ran mega spreads.

Everyone's mileage varies with this stuff. Me personally, anything over 9 lines is a bit much. Even then, it's chaotic.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
What about boats like Canyon Runner? Those guys were one of the first well known boats to publish that they ran mega spreads.

You can't compare a crew like the Canyon Runner or any other operation like that to a weekend warrior. Those crews fish 100 plus days a year together and perform like a well oiled machine when the time comes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If your tuna fishing the more lines the merrier. Just put em out there, go to sleep, and wait for the reels to start screaming.

However, if you're billfishing you don't stand a chance of an 75-90 something percent hookup ratio if you don't see the fish before the bite. If you're trying to keep track of 11 lines in the water you might as well put Mr. Magoo on watch. You simply can't keep an eye on 11 baits at once. Most missed billfish are either because you don't see them or you're trying to hook them on one of those heinous contraptions.

When we billfish we fish a maximum of 6 lines and even that gives me a bit of a headache...

·
Registered
250 Posts
It also depends on the width of your boat. I run 11 lines off my boat at all times it has a 10' beam with 18' outriggers. Tangles do happen but thats part of the game. Spreader bars offer the ability to make your spread look that much bigger and sometimes more appealing. If im running 80 miles out you better believe in putting everything out in the spread. Im still waiting for the chance to have all 11 lines hit at once.:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
The optimal number for me is 7 for tuna, if the seas are rough take it down to 6 or 5, but I am in a 28 so I would imagine it varies by boat and species

·
Registered
495 Posts
A lot will depend on what you are fishing for, the level of experience of your crew, and the number of guys on board. If you have a lot of lines out and are spending a good portion of your time untangling instead of watching baits, then you aren't making the most of your time. As was mentioned, you are in a 25' boat, so you are limited. I have a 28'er with 15' double rigged outriggers and a 10 1/2 FT beam, and I won't run more than 7 early in the season when targeting tuna. Later in the season when targeting only billfish we run 4 or 5 max. But we also always have teasers and dredges out as well no matter how many lines we're pulling. That's plenty if a couple whites come calling.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I plan to run 5 next summer as I make my first foray into tuna fishing on my boat (23’ walkaround). Likely run bars on outrodders and waaaay back off the hardtop (total of 3), and skirted ballyhoo straight back off the gunwale rod holders (total of 2). I plan to run bigger bars since I will have fewer in the water with the idea that the bigger bar will help get enough “baits” and commotion in the water. Hope that is enough to raise them up.

Some people have suggested running a planer or 2 also. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I can successfully run something under the ballyhoo on the same “line”…but just deeper? I know tangles are a possibility, but is it more of an inevitability in that scenario than a possibility? Wondering if I am just asking for trouble and if I should just sacrifice one of the bars or ballyhoo for a planer….or can I get away with it and get up to 6 or 7 rods.

·
Registered
31,403 Posts
More lines are fine if it's calm and you don't know what they want or where they are. If we know there's fish around and we know what they want we'll cut it back to fewer lines to avoid losing fish

1 - 20 of 28 Posts