BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We like to trailer up from northern Virginia to fly fish for blues in the shallow water in the back half of Raritan bay.It is a very expensive trip that we look forward to every year. We have always gotten good information from this message board, so thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
yes they are thick in the bay and rivers
Two throws of the net today on the navesink produced 7 bluefish...the net floated right to the top of the water. We thought we were one and done; the only thing done was the net!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
We also enjoy fishing for blues in Raritan this time of year. Stripers are King but some light tackle bluefish action can be a blast. Two buds who fished it on Monday did not find many at all in the upper reaches of Raritan. Water temp was 62 degrees. Did the rain push them back towards the ocean or did they not make it to the top of Raritan yet? Would like to try for them Tues and Wed. Any info or updates appreciated.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
i do know Sunday they were between the channels and land from keyport to the navy pier and my buddy got them good yesterday trolling

·
Registered
72 Posts
i do know Sunday they were between the channels and land from keyport to the navy pier and my buddy got them good yesterday trolling
Thanks for that wahooo. Planning on Tues and Wed if we get the weather and it looks like the fish are there.

Updates appreciated.

·
Registered
437 Posts
We like to trailer up from northern Virginia to fly fish for blues in the shallow water in the back half of Raritan bay.It is a very expensive trip that we look forward to every year. We have always gotten good information from this message board, so thanks in advance.
yes they are here and thick. We had them all weekend from 3 to 14 lbs. There is really no secret spot,you can find and fish them any style you enjoy. Good luck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can anyone update the bluefish situation in the upper reaches of RB? Tues and Wed are the only days I can do it this week, so I am most likely fishing RB anyway. It would just be nice to know if they are there in good numbers. We usually fish the shallows with light tackle and fly rods. While I fish for stripers most of the time, a LT/fly bluefish trip is a nice switch, if they are plentiful. Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Bill read my post today. The blues can move very fast at times but an awful lot moved through today. You could catch them till your arms fell out of the sockets.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Thanks ron. I do not mind moving around from top to bottom as long as there are a good number around.
Wild Bill, we had them real good at the mouth of the bay last Monday as many as you wanted to catch on fresh bunker chunks. Bring wire leader as they put a hurtin on my hook supply.

You should try out of Shark River or Point Pleasant for stripers, a lot of nice fish are being caught live lining bunker right now. Threw some poppers at them but had better luck throwing crock spoons. Ton of fun on light tackle.

Good luck and have fun:thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wild Bill, we had them real good at the mouth of the bay last Monday as many as you wanted to catch on fresh bunker chunks. Bring wire leader as they put a hurtin on my hook supply.

You should try out of Shark River or Point Pleasant for stripers, a lot of nice fish are being caught live lining bunker right now. Threw some poppers at them but had better luck throwing crock spoons. Ton of fun on light tackle.

Good luck and have fun:thumbsup:
Thanks Deep for the info. Sounds good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.