Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never I am waiting for Obamacare

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to the doctor every few years only when I am so sick I can't take it. On the other hand my sister keeps open appointments with every doctor in the area. She has no illness or issues (thank God) but she goes to the office every time she had a head ache.
I was talking to my doctor a few weeks ago, on my every other year trip, and we got to talking about the cost of health care. I am 35 and not on any medication. He tells me that this is almost rare and that everyone is on some kind of drugs today. This may be why we have you know who in office .. Anyhow how often do you go to the doctor for seasonal illness? Not lingering issues but are you one of the few who hold out or do you go just to take advantage of the money you spend each check?
By the way, if you are asking what is it any of your business, then you most likely go too much :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you but I do have a skin rash that will not go away with store bought stuff and a few teeth I have to get worked on that are starting to become a PITA and will make an appointment for them when I get a break from work but that won't be for awhile which is a good thing:thumbsup:there are alot of folks out there depending on my taxes from my income to pay there way through life:thumbsdown::mad:

I will add I do go once a year for a check up..

·
Registered
15,508 Posts
This is what bothers me...

I can count one hand how many times I have been to the doctor in the last 15 years since I have been working and paying for my own health insurance. We are the same age, and I am also not on any type of medication at all.

Last year, I got sick. REAL sick. Doubled over in pain, 105° fever, pissing blood. My girlfriend loaded me up into the car, and took me to the ER. Turns out I had a real bad kidney infection.

Now, I think about it... and I have been paying into health insurance for 15 years, and never used it. I still wound up paying over $3000 out of pocket.

Yet, if I was on welfare, or an illegal alien... I would not have paid a penny.

So I am being punished because I work hard, pay my bills, and pay for my own insurance?

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
Joe

Im like you I only head to the doctor when something happens....like cutting off fingers.:eek: I do get my check ups and make the occasional sick visit with strep from the kids.

Im 35 also and take no medication at all. Now when my BP started to climb even a little I quit smoking and changed my diet. Now I could stand to lose a few pounds but Im already eating/drinking much healthier. Most people are not proactive at all with their health....and by no means am I a nut about it.

I know lunatics who head to the doctor for everything.....they must be loved by their Ins. Co!

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
No doctor visits, no medicine, and I get my annual checkup every three years. Smoke like a chimney.

I guess, going on 57, I've been lucky, but I feel very good.

The insurance companies need policyholders like us, or they would go out of the insurance business.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I am 31 years old...I go to the doctor every 2 years before my birthday for a physical check up and blood work. I've had 2 prescriptions in my life. Major problem is insurance is lawyers...they promote suing for everything.

·
Registered
76,198 Posts
I am 31 years old...I go to the doctor every 2 years before my birthday for a physical check up and blood work. I've had 2 prescriptions in my life. Major problem is insurance is lawyers...they promote suing for everything.
I say no we are not the cause. Below is one of the major contributors along with non standard billing and some piss poor management on the provider side.

Old thread info:
Simply put. A person works all their life, pays into a plan for him and his family. Then the government comes along and reduces his coverage without his consent and gives free coverage to some one else. All in the name of justice.

Instead of this catastrophe let’s fix the system we have and start with
Tort Reform

Who do you think is blocking this and why. Answer that question and you’ll realize how you are being played.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090726/NEWS04/907260328/-1/NEWSMAP

Charles Krauthammer: For progress, reform torts, not health care system

July 26, 2009
WASHINGTON — What happened to Obamacare? Rhetoric met reality. As both candidate and president, the master rhetorician could conjure a world in which he bestows upon you health care nirvana: more coverage, less cost.

But you can't fake it in legislation. Once you commit your fantasies to words and numbers, the Congressional Budget Office comes along and declares that the emperor has no clothes.
President Obama premised the need for reform on the claim that medical costs are destroying the economy. True. But now we learn — surprise!— that universal coverage increases costs. The congressional Democrats' health care plans, says the CBO, increase costs in the range of $1 trillion plus.

In response, the president retreated to a demand that any bill he sign be revenue neutral. But that's classic misdirection: If the fierce urgency of health care reform is to radically reduce costs that are producing budget-destroying deficits, revenue neutrality by definition) leaves us on precisely the same path to insolvency that Obama himself declares unsustainable.

The Democratic proposals are worse still. Because they do increase costs, revenue neutrality means countervailing tax increases. It's not just that it is crazily anti-stimulatory to saddle a deeply depressed economy with an income tax surcharge that falls squarely on small business and the investor class. It's that health care reform ends up diverting for its own purposes a source of revenue that might otherwise be used to close the yawning structural budget deficit that is such a threat to the economy and to the dollar.

When a neurosurgeon pays $200,000 a year for malpractice insurance before he even turns on the light in his office or hires his first nurse, who do you think pays? Patients, in higher doctor fees to cover the insurance.

And with jackpot justice that awards one claimant zillions while others get nothing — and one-third of everything goes to the lawyers — where do you think that money comes from? The insurance companies, who then pass it on to you in higher premiums.

But the greatest waste is the hidden cost of defensive medicine: tests and procedures that doctors order for no good reason other than to protect themselves from lawsuit.

·
Registered
22,481 Posts
When I was working, the company provided an extensive physical each year. The bride conned me into one since.

When we first became patients of our family doctor, My bride had to drag me there to prove she wasn't a widow.

I'll be 77 and my God has been good to me. I'm on no prescription or over the counter medicine, at the moment.:bow:

There are a lot of causes for high cost, but I don't think I'm one of them.:)

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Im 35, take no meds. Maybe a generic Zantac or excedrin now and then.

I go to the Dr every 3 or 4 years. When i get sick - I try to avoid antibiotics unless I think my body is past its ability to fight it. Most infections are actually self limiting but still get treated anyway.

I work in hospitals and have many friends that are dr's so I guess im lucky enough to bounce any minor problems off of them once in a while - but then again over the last few years I havent had to.

Actually - the last 4 times Ive been to the dr were for a Physical injury from either sports or other training rather than illness

Now I do have a creeping blood pressure that should be watched - but I have the nurse at home take that once in a while.

Funny this came up as i have "call the dr" on my list of things to do this week. With the twins birth- its time to get a physical and up the life insurance!

·
Registered
31,936 Posts
I go when I'm sick and don't get any better after giving it a week to run it's course. Or when I get a hook through my finger. :D

Lawyers are why everything is so expensive. They're also why pools don't have high-dives anymore. Bassturds.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I think it's the cost of the Medications. I'm on some maintenance meds and some of my prescriptions cost over $300 for a 90 Supply. :eek: I get to pay $100 of that out of my pocket. The cost of the meds is Absolutely Ridiculous

·
Banned
204 Posts
Health insurance is like car insurance, the more claims you file, the higher the premiums would be.

I'm sick and tired today's generation who a fear mongered by the healthcare industry. The get a headache or a mosquitoe bite, they have to go to the doctor and get blood test and medication. Too many poeple are scard to the point they have to make the healthcare industry richer and richer.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I think it's the cost of the Medications. I'm on some maintenance meds and some of my prescriptions cost over $300 for a 90 Supply. :eek: I get to pay $100 of that out of my pocket. The cost of the meds is Absolutely Ridiculous

Take a look at the overall percentage of healthcare dollars spent towards meds - I think you will be surprised that its not has high as you think.

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
this is what bothers me...

I can count one hand how many times i have been to the doctor in the last 15 years since i have been working and paying for my own health insurance. We are the same age, and i am also not on any type of medication at all.

Last year, i got sick. Real sick. Doubled over in pain, 105° fever, pissing blood. My girlfriend loaded me up into the car, and took me to the er. Turns out i had a real bad kidney infection.

Now, i think about it... And i have been paying into health insurance for 15 years, and never used it. I still wound up paying over $3000 out of pocket.

Yet, if i was on welfare, or an illegal alien... I would not have paid a penny.

So i am being punished because i work hard, pay my bills, and pay for my own insurance?
you paid all that insurance for years and still paid $3,000 and the scum illegals get it free and much more and we are suppose to give them more when that bill comes up for full amnesty.

·
Banned
204 Posts
you paid all that insurance for years and still paid $3,000 and the scum illegals get it free and much more and we are suppose to give them more when that bill comes up for full amnesty.
The illegals are not the only ones getting free healthcare, just think about all those Americans who don't feel like working and on welfare that get free health insurance. So please blame it on our own instead of making illegals the scapegoat.

·
Registered
22,481 Posts
The illegals are not the only ones getting free healthcare, just think about all those Americans who don't feel like working and on welfare that get free health insurance. So please blame it on our own instead of making illegals the scapegoat.
You do understand the difference between legal and illegal ???

While I'm not a fan of Americans who don't want to work, I cannot fathom the desire for the added cost of someone who does not belong here..

·
Registered
76,198 Posts
American citizens should get help before any illegal’s

1 - 18 of 18 Posts