1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.today...w wind 40 kt. Seas 22 ft. Snow showers. Heavy freezing
spray in the afternoon.
.tonight...w wind 40 kt diminishing to 30 kt after midnight. Seas
21 ft. Snow showers. Heavy freezing spray.
.wed...w wind 25 kt becoming nw 15 kt in the afternoon. Seas 16 ft.
Heavy freezing spray.
.wed night...nw wind 30 kt. Seas 11 ft.
.thu...w wind 30 kt. Seas 12 ft.
.fri...sw wind 20 kt. Seas 10 ft.
.sat...se wind 40 kt. Seas 15 ft.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Sounds like a blast!!!:eek: How long is it supposed to blow like that will you have any relief while your out??Or is it supposed to blow the entire time??

Thanks for your service!!!!!!

FC:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't check past Sat. I can only say this is some of the worst weather I've seen. We had up to 74kt winds last night. Friggin insane:eek:. The worst is over though. I'm on sattelite internet and I can't tell you guys where I'm at. Lets just say its friggin cold...oh yeah its 10 degrees out too. Gusts to 40kts and 10 degrees...pain is the only word to describe how cold that feels....

P.S. Its still awesome and I love my job :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just lied when I said gusts to 40kts (not mph)...its steady 40kt gusts 50-60kts as I type this...:eek:...yeehaw!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yea, but Phildelphia had more snow than Anchorage this year ;)

DJ, I don't know you except to read your posts on the Barn.

Good luck, stay safe, thanks for what you're doing, and maybe we'll catch up on a NJ Beach someday.

I'll buy you a beer!!

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
you guys are doing a great job and we really do appreciate what you do. Stay safe & try to stay warm & dry:thumbsup::bow::wave: hows the fishing?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
.today...w wind 40 kt. Seas 22 ft. Snow showers. Heavy freezing
spray in the afternoon.
.tonight...w wind 40 kt diminishing to 30 kt after midnight. Seas
21 ft. Snow showers. Heavy freezing spray.
.wed...w wind 25 kt becoming nw 15 kt in the afternoon. Seas 16 ft.
Heavy freezing spray.
.wed night...nw wind 30 kt. Seas 11 ft.
.thu...w wind 30 kt. Seas 12 ft.
.fri...sw wind 20 kt. Seas 10 ft.
.sat...se wind 40 kt. Seas 15 ft.
Back in the day, my buddy's dad was stationed in Adak flying cargo planes full of oil to lubricate the drills for underground nuclear testing. I remember him saying it could be real nasty out there. I have seen some rough seas on navy ships, but not that bad. There was an article on the internet the other day, that a cruise ship in the Mediterranean Sea got broadsided by 3 -33foot rogue waves. bet that was a treat

Be safe!, and Thanks:wave:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys thank you all for the "thanks". But please stop thanking me for my service. I'm on the Barn to talk about fishing, weather, plugs, ect...not to look for "attention". I just wanted to share the crazy weather experience I'm having at the moment. So crazy I had to share, lol...Its just a job fellas. Thank you though...

Yes we do have to break ice off the ship and its a big suck...:thumbsdown:...no other words to describe it...lol...We also have to break ice for other ships. Had to get u/w Christmas Eve to make a path for another ship that wanted to tie up for a few days over Christmas. The whole harbor was frozen...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, but Phildelphia had more snow than Anchorage this year ;)
Thanks, Eng73. True, but it will be snowing in Anchorage for 2 more months. They may catch up. You guys really did have a brutal winter. Way worse than us. It's been wierd, November was brutally cold into December, than all thru Jan and Feb it was very very mild, and too warm to snow, rained everyday, average for Kodiak was 35-40 all of Jan and Feb. Trust me, we would rather have the snow. It was rain and fog almost every damn day, no sun at all. But like every year now that March is here, we'll get dumped on. We have a few more big blizzards to look forward to thats for sure...djc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I served in the Navy on board the USS Lawrence DDG-4 in the early 80's an rode out a storm that had seas pushing to 30ft. It was a wild ride i assure you. I enjoyed every minute of it to! But hey thanks for keeping our coasts safe bud.

·
Registered
791 Posts
hey dj. take care man and be safe. when you gonna be back home fishing again? i think the jersey surf is calling your name. give me a call some time.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
It's close to 60 degrees here. Remind me again, why you picked Kodiak? :razz: Any chance you're still able to take a vacation and come back to the east coast for a bit?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Remind me again, why you picked Kodiak? :razz: Any chance you're still able to take a vacation and come back to the east coast for a bit?
I ask myself that same question everyday, lolololo.:rolleyes:..too late now, just making the best of it. Thank God I love my job, because living here in Kodia is the pits:thumbsdown:. I wish I could just take this ship and put her homebirth in Cape May. It really is an awesome ship with a great crew and a top notch Captain...:thumbsup:...

I honestly count it down like a jail sentence, 15 more months fellas. Then you guys will be visiting me at the "mecca".;)...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
update

...lol...all week was so friggin nasty. We wand up anchoring for a few days behind an island to hind from the storm. Gusts to 60kts for 3 days strait. S cold we had a few pipes freezing and bursting withing the ship, we lost 3 flag haliards, just crazy shiat. Cold aint the word.

Bout 2 hours ago it finally died down to "normal" 20-30kts, so we're off to do some ATON...haha...

...djc.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
we just had 3 days of rain and some winds at the shore were clocked at over 60mph, from what I understand North Jersey got hit harder than S Jersey

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.