BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two vessels are in tow from Norfolk, VA - a dredge that will be deployed on the Ocean City Reef, first thing tomorrow morning. The second vessel, a tug boat, will then be towed north to the Atlantic City Reef and deployed a few hours later.
Conditions permitting.

You can follow the progress of the tow vessel ( Justin) on marine traffic.com

Attachments

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
A successful day!
dredge location

Tug location
I was just putting the #s in on the tug and it doesn't seem right??? I think your 74.34.095 # is not right. I think it should be closer to 74.12.60

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was just putting the #s in on the tug and it doesn't seem right??? I think your 74.34.095 # is not right. I think it should be closer to 74.12.60
Thank you! It was a long day yesterday.

I corrected my original post. The tug numbers are N39°14.0381 W 74°12.5675

Very cool. Anyone know the names of the vessels sunk? Ill add em to my structure points.
Dredge - Dredge Ohio
Tugboat -Tobacco Pointe dedicated to Richard Reina(maybe called The Richard Reina)

You can find more pictures and info here(work in progress)

http://thesportfishingfund.org

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The next deployment will be on the Axel Carlson Reef, tentative date is Monday August 8, 2016.

This is another collaborative project between The Manasquan River Marlin & Tuna Club(MRMTC), The Ann E. Clark Foundation and thesportfishingfund.org.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
The NJDEP artificial reef deployment program is back on course due to a restoration of federal funding. The funding has returned, thanks to a compromise the Christie Administration reached between recreational anglers & commercial fishermen over access to the popular reefs. The NJDEP’s Div of Fish & Wildlife plans to sink as many as 10 vessels by the end of fall to become part of the its network of artificial reefs. The US Fish & Wildlife Service is providing $119,250 to the artificial reef program because the NJDEP was able to reach a compromise that allows commercial interests to have continued access to portions of 2 reefs in state waters & calls for the construction of a new reef for recreational fishing, also in state waters.

The Lisa Kim, former clam dredge boat, currently berthed in Otten's Harbor is to be deployed on Wildwood Reef

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The Austin is scheduled to be deployed on the Axel Carlson reef on Wednesday September 14th.
The 115' Lisa Kim is scheduled to be deployed on the Wildwood Reef on Friday September 16th( subject to weather,etc)

These vessels with be the fourth and fifth vessels deployed on NJ Artificial reefs this year.

target location -Lisa Kim
N 38 57.900
W 74 41.050

The sinking of the ZUNI-TAMAROA is now planned to coincide with 25th anniversary of the No Name Storm of 1991(Perfect Storm) Where the USCG TAMAROA and crew performed two heroic rescues.

To find out more or donated to current or future projects visit www.thesportfishingfund.org

·
Registered
86 Posts
not to hijack , but how successful as far as holding desirable fish has the program worked up there ??? down here in s. fla. it seems the vessels sunk hold more ''junkfish'' or divers ...rubble seems to work better than any ship or such....

·
Registered
803 Posts
These wrecks hold lots of desirable fish for us. Great for tautog and sea bass and many others. A friend of mine who dives said most people wouldn't believe how many fish are on each one. You can see GoPro under water video on you tube. Type in something like diving cape may reef wrecks in the sesrch engine. There are some pretty neat videos.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts