Registered
9,458 Posts
will say this TB and Adam fought hard for ya !!!!! in Sea bass and scup

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If I payed enough attention...

States still have to present their desired regulations to the ASMFC on Flounder..

Sea Bass motion was to increase quota and have a season of May22-Sept12 with 25 fish per person of 12.5" and larger. (Of course this is just a recommendation to the NMF)

Striped bass.... Young indexes were noted as a concern. Harsh critcism of VA fleet Fishing outside of the EEZ (National Charterboat Capt Assn VP and MD delegate recommended loss of license and stiff fines for EEZ violators) Presentation on Mycobacteria infection in striped bass in the Chesapeake.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Striped bass.... Young indexes were noted as a concern. Harsh critcism of VA fleet Fishing outside of the EEZ (National Charterboat Capt Assn VP and MD delegate recommended loss of license and stiff fines for EEZ violators) Presentation on Mycobacteria infection in striped bass in the Chesapeake.
Now we're getting somewhere!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
But as to summer flounder, was anything else said/decided?

1. I'm assuming it was decided that the regs will be state by state versus coastwide.

2. Did they decide what each state's allocation will be? If so, what is NJ's allocation?

3. Was there any discussion of what will happen to states that went over their quota in 2009? States that went over quota in 08 were penalized by being forced to shorten the 09 season. Will that happen again this year? (NJ was over again in 09).

·
Registered
24,481 Posts
will say this TB and Adam fought hard for ya !!!!! in Sea bass and scup
They usually do:thumbsup:

Did you say anything that was on the record about the issues you have raised ? If so, what was the feed back, if any?

·
Registered
24,481 Posts
If I payed enough attention...

States still have to present their desired regulations to the ASMFC on Flounder..

Sea Bass motion was to increase quota and have a season of May22-Sept12 with 25 fish per person of 12.5" and larger. (Of course this is just a recommendation to the NMF)

Thank You!!:)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I arrived during the Flounder portion so I may not be giving accurate information. I dont think anything was decided. I believe most states were very close to the quota with the exception of MD who was like 23% over. Only thing that was decided was that Maryland will not be able to split regulations for the bay and coastal waters.

Regarding the Striped Bass and poaching I believe the NC representative suggested opening the EEZ for better management. Currently they are not sure how many fish are being caught outside the EEZ and by opening it up the fish would be better accounted for. He also noted the cost of helocopters and patrol boats on a nice day outside of Oregon inlet. To me, it made sense that the many miles of open Ocean isnt really cost effective to patrol. It would make more sense to open the EEZ to me manage through creels, which can be better and more cost effectively enforced through access points. Either way it doesnt matter to me as the last two years 95% of my striped bass fishing has been in the Chesapeake Bay. (with the occassional trip to the Cape May Rips with my father). However, I would rather see enforcable rules that maximize economic impact of the fisheries by providing access and opportunity. I also want them to better account for what is actually being harvested for better management.

I attended the meetings with David Smith, the executive director of the MSSA ( www.mssa.net )

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I arrived during the Flounder portion so I may not be giving accurate information. I dont think anything was decided. I believe most states were very close to the quota with the exception of MD who was like 23% over. Only thing that was decided was that Maryland will not be able to split regulations for the bay and coastal waters.

Regarding the Striped Bass and poaching I believe the NC representative suggested opening the EEZ for better management. Currently they are not sure how many fish are being caught outside the EEZ and by opening it up the fish would be better accounted for. He also noted the cost of helocopters and patrol boats on a nice day outside of Oregon inlet. To me, it made sense that the many miles of open Ocean isnt really cost effective to patrol. It would make more sense to open the EEZ to me manage through creels, which can be better and more cost effectively enforced through access points. Either way it doesnt matter to me as the last two years 95% of my striped bass fishing has been in the Chesapeake Bay. (with the occassional trip to the Cape May Rips with my father). However, I would rather see enforcable rules that maximize economic impact of the fisheries by providing access and opportunity. I also want them to better account for what is actually being harvested for better management.

I attended the meetings with David Smith, the executive director of the MSSA ( www.mssa.net )

Think I said Hi to ya

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
"I believe most states were very close to the quota with the exception of MD who was like 23% over."

Actually, NJ was 24% over its quota in 2009. The NJ quota was 809,000 fish in 2009 but 1,003,701 were supposedly landed. Fortunately, NJ's quota for 2010 is up to 997,000 so the theory is that we can have basically the same regs as last year when about that many fish were landed.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the clarification. As mentioned, I walked in during the Flounder discussion so I dont have my ducks in a row. The percentages I saw must have been what the states were being asked to reduce their harvest by. For some reason NJ stood out at 1% to me but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yes, NJ's quota for 2010 is 997,000 fluke. So that is a 1% reduction from the 1,003,071 fluke landed under the regs last year. To achieve the 1% reduction from what was landed last year, the most likely option is that the 2010 season will be 4 days shorter this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.