BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No pics just a little info.

With the cold blast things have moved. Pulled my drop net and only a few grass shrimp. Net wasn't baited. Minnow trap with a hunk of bunker had a decent amount of minnows and a bunch of grass shrimp. If you don't believe that fish will move to warmer waters then read on.

Just behind our shop across the street is a storm sewer. Somewhere and we can't find where it drains out into our back bay. One day last week I took the temp off the dock and it was 46 degrees. Then I dropped it into the sewer and it was 54 degrees. That sewer is loaded to the gills with minnows. When I first walk up to it you can hear then see the water in it jump from the minnows scrambling. A few years ago a Barner needed some minnows in the dead of minnow for his aquarium. Just then we had a bad cold snap and the minnows from off the dock just vanished. Flattened one of my old traps so it would fit into the sewer and had all the minnows we needed. The other day we actually tried pulling the grate off so I could drop a trap into it so I could post some pics. We couldn't get the grate to budge and I'm not wasting another good trap for one pic.

Just posting this to point out how fish can sense and find warm water and how they will move to it like a magnet. This can be important for spring time fishing when waters especially on incoming tides run cold. Always look for the warm water because the fish do.

·
Registered
839 Posts
thanks for sharing..8 degrees means a lot to fish,, me also as I migrate closer to a source of heat the last 24hrs..
.. I wonder if that storm drain is really close to the water if there is some environmentally friendly dye you could drop in to see where it dumps into bay... or I'd bet the township must have a site plan revealing same(yeah right).
I also wonder whats sitting at the mouth of the drain into the bay.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I replyed to one of your post in the summer, i wrote how you helped me a great deal with the flat fish in the back, 16ft skiff can go anywere back there and i fish just about everyday durring the season. Did the offshore tuna thing for years so i never really did the fluke thing that much until i bought my boat, i can offshore a few times a week if i wanted to but its crazy fun in the little boat, 5gal fule all day apposed to 500 gals, not hard to take. I have been making my own bucktails for a wile now and they have worked unreal the past few summers, since i have about 30 tails from hunting season it looks like i have lots more to make, the first few i made sucked, still caught fish but now they look really good, got it down great, fun thing to do in the dead of winter to. Like i said i read and did what you said and it really worked great for me, lots of big fish on 1oz to 2oz bucktails., i caught two this summer in the same day, one was 11 pounds and the other was 9, biggest i have ever caught, big baits big fish right. We ended up with about 9 fish this year from 7 to 11lbs. The year before my girlfriend caught one that was 32inches, the biggest one i have ever see, it was in four foot of water. Killed one through back this year useing a teaser hook becasue i couldnt feel the bite, so back to just big bucktails and big strip baits for me, when the water is the right temp. Just wanted to say thanks for all info you post, helped me lots. I have to stop in your shop and say hello, The one thing i cant get right is when you catch a big one they look a whole lot bigger in person then they do pic wise , guess i have to hold them closer to the camera next time lol, soon enough it will be time to do it all over again. Thanks again hope to see you soon and for somone i have never met in person i would have to say your the man, God bless hope you, hope you had great Christmas

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
same thing where i keep my boat the last few weeks on falling tides theres a drain pipe and 1,000's of minnows were stacked up there so thick u almost couldnt see the cross beams on the bulkhead.
just before i pulled my greenie trap out for winter i had some huge fat looking minnows in it. almost looked like grey goldfish there were soo stuffed.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Possible reason for minnows and fish congregating by the outfall storm pipe.:
Storm drains run under the ground as shallow as 1/2 ft to sometimes several feet. If water in contained in the pipe it will measure the temperature of the surronding ground it is buried in. The ground temperature in this area is normally around 55-57 degrees most of the year. Once the hard cold comes it will take a good amount of time for the ground to freeze deep enough to effect pipes that are below grade.
This is the basis for a geothermal heating system.
Groundwater and snow and sleet when it melts will lower the temp of the water but once it is in the earth a while it melts and will eventually become the temp of the earth around the pipe.

·
Registered
572 Posts
thanks for sharing..8 degrees means a lot to fish,, me also as I migrate closer to a source of heat the last 24hrs..
.. I wonder if that storm drain is really close to the water if there is some environmentally friendly dye you could drop in to see where it dumps into bay... or I'd bet the township must have a site plan revealing same(yeah right).
I also wonder whats sitting at the mouth of the drain into the bay.

yes they do have dye tabs that are designed for just this type of tyhing. I work for the sewar authority here in delaware county, and the sewar mait. dept uses them all the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.